I told someone to get a job, does this make me a bad person?

There is an ever-reposted ad on my local craigslist from a lady who says her 16 year old son got his gf pregnant and how they have nothing for there baby and that she is not financially able to provide for this child and apparently neither are they. She is not only wanting baby items for free but also for them to be hand delivered to her door. After about the fifth time reading this ad I responded with some information about some programs that offer free baby items and POLITELY suggested that 16 is old enough to work. As a manager of a mcDonalds, I know that we hired over a hundred teens in this area this year so I feel like the oppurtunity was there.

Am I really a bad person for suggeting this? I do whatever I can to help people giving away anything I dont use to people who want it. I just feel like she is bailing these kids out for making an adult decsion without some maturity to back it up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• not at all...i think more people need that kick! it's sad that soooo many out there are singing the woe is me song when they can do things to change their own situation, and other's literally can't help their situation.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would have to say no, your not a bad person because I would have done the same thing. When a 16 year old girl gets pregnant at that age, or a 16 year old boy gets a girl pregnant, they should already know the responsibilities of having a child and should be able to take the responsibility on and be that parent. The mother of the boy should not be bailing her own son out but should be helping him out on steering him into the right direction on what he should do for his family.
    nevaehsmom1009

Answer by nevaehsmom1009 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• No. Not at all.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 1:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It doesn't make you a bad person by any means. it is hard to say what's going on when we're not a part of the situation. However, for some reason, these young guys are living off the mom's, dad's, grandparents, or girlfriends family. I have a friend who is dealing with that right now. The grandparents kicked him out and his girlfriend said he has no where to go. So Aunti9e has a big heart but isn't well and in no condition to take care of them. They want to get married, but have no jobs. They sit in the back bedroom watching TV all day, only to come out for food. It's killing her. So don't go feeling bad about what you said. Sometimes someone has to stand up. That's how we got into the mess this nation is in. Because no one wanted to offend anyone else. Forget about it! Someones always going to be offended. You did a wonderful thing!!!

WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 1:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• No, not at all! I'm sooo tired of people not taking resposibility for their actions! This kid should be shoveling snow for neighbors, as you said “get a job", anything to try & help. Big boy wants to play, he needs a job to pay! I always try and help those that help themselves.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• When will parents pick up thier bibles and start whacking the hell out of some of these parents and thier offspings that KNOW that they can call and report you for Not buying the 155,$ tennis shoes.. seriously. from what you've written. her behavior, some bible thumping mama needs to find that womans caregiver.

EmmasHope

Answer by EmmasHope at 1:20 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Just playing devil's advocate, here...but, how do you know the son doesn't have a PT job on top of going to school? PT at McD's for a teen doesn't pay near enough to provide for a new baby. Maybe they are trying to cover all the possible bases they can think of. Although the kids made an adult decision & got pregnant, they still need to finish school no matter what. A HS diploma is imperative to what they will be able to do for thebaby in the future. This woman is doing whatever she can to help her grandchild. Nothing in your post implies that none of them are working or trying other community avenues. Seems like there is a LOT of assuming & judgement going on here.

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think a little "tough love" is in order. She's putting her situation out there where anyone can see it, so you have nothing to worry about.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 1:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Kudos to you! My dh hands out business cards with hiring information on them to the people holding "help me" signs on street corners.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 2:34 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• GET A JOB ALL OF U STOP BEGGING AN GET A JOB LOL i understand if he is in school but u had time to poke u better get to work :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 4:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2010