WHAT REALLY CAUSES COLICS ON NEWBORN BABYS?

MY NEWBORN BABY CRIES AT NIGHT AND WHEN I FEED HIM FORMULA .

VICHENZIE

Asked by VICHENZIE at 1:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It may be the formula that is causing him discomfort. My son's colic got much better when I switched him to Similac for fussy and gassy. It was the orange label. You can try some different formula, ask your pediatrician. My son's problem was that because he was premie his digestive system was having trouble with the regular formula.

Other babies are just colic for no known reason, at least not one that science has found yet.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Colic is unexplained crying.. and no one knows what causes it. Since you have found formula is a problem, you can switch or dump it entirely if you're also breastfeeding. Evening crying can be caused by overstimulation in the daytime.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I also had the formula problem. Once we switched my daughter to a soy based formula, she was fine. Lots of babies have trouble with regular formulas. Talk to your Doctor and see what is your best option! Good luck!
    pixidst73

Answer by pixidst73 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• the formula could definitly be hurting your babies tummy!!! Switch to find out what it could be! Also gripe water is good for upset tummys! If you are breastfeeding id stop the fromula!
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 10:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Gas! Burp, Burp, and Burp some more. The baby feels pain and complains because of trapped gas. While you feed, take breaks and burp often. Then again when the baby is finished eating.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• that just and old way of explaining hundreds of newborn problems people didn't know how to fix. call ur dr.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Colic is usually defined by a continued crying for 1-2 hours at the same time of day/night over a period of several weeks (can be every day but has to be at least like 3-4 days a week). That is what we were told when our older son was a baby. There is no explanation and usually there is no real way to comfort a colicky baby. If the formula is the culprit than it's probably not true colic. My son had it and would start crying at 11pm every night like clockwork. It was completely independent of his eating schedule (whether he was hungry or just fed, just slept or was tired, etc). He would just wail from 11pm-2am every single night and then, like a switch being tripped, he would stop at 2am and fall asleep. Nothing comforted him, although he seemed to like when I bounced him on my knee. It was exhausting. He outgrew it at 3 months.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010