what is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Bipolar?

Lynnsae

Asked by Lynnsae at 1:34 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Health

• umm im bipolar and im not crazy and im not untrustworthy. im actually the most loving and loyal personi know and you can ask my husband. people who dont know about the disorder think that we re uncontrolable and just plain crazy and actaully we are not. there are different degrees of bipolar. many people also think that others have th disorder just becausethat person is just crazy. a person with bipolar will take weeks to months to change moods not seconds. sure we can snap and be irritable when we are in a depressed phase but who the hell dont snap sometimes. I think that before people start judging bipolar disorder they need to know more about it and meet people who live with it each day and manage just fine. I was diagnosed just over 4 years ago and manage to be afull time student wok full time and raise 3 kids, one of which has special needs. So people need to stop thinking they know everything and get their facts
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Myself in the mirror.

And fuck all of you who think someone is unstable, untrustworthy or a horrible mother just because they are bipolar. Walk a mile in my shoes, then start spouting that shit.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 1:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have been diagnosed as being bi-polar. I am NOT unstable, untrustworthy or a horrible mother!!! I have had MORE ppl tell me what a WONDERFUL mom I am for as long as I can remember!!!! Some ppl with bi-polar have it worse than others!! Mine is very mild! DO NOT make judgements about ppl until YOU get the diagnosis of bi-polar!!!!
    Allebas

Answer by Allebas at 2:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It amazes me how harsh some of you are. How wonderful of a person does it make you look like? I've been diagnosed with severe depression and have been on meds for years. I'm stable now thank goodness! I understand the labels people put on the mentally interesting. I could go on, but I just don't like the subject anymore.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 9:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Wow, lots of negative things going on here! I was diagnosed with BPD when I was 18 years old. I am a wife, a mom, and a gainfully employed, functional member of society. Yes, I take medication and get therapy once a week but I would hardly consider myself crazy or unstable!
    applebean

Answer by applebean at 2:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'm bipolar (in addition to several other mental illnesses) and my husband is also bipolar. I know many other bipolar people - some are medicated, some are not. Some are very stable and you wouldn't know they had a mental illness unless they told you. Some, however, are just like the anonymous poster said - unstable and untrustworthy. But I don't think there is one rule that applies to all of us.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 11:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• myself and as for Anonymous if you can get the right medication people with bi polor can be very good mothers and people. I am a good mother and a loving wife i have bad days but everyone has bad days at some point
    babyblue5280

Answer by babyblue5280 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My high school and early college years, lol life is much better now lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i don't think that bipolar people want to be crazy or moody like some of youthink they do. Now, there are some people out there who are in fact crazy, but it's not because they are bipolar. Some very harsh words from some very ignorant people!
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I agree with anon. My SIL is bipolar and she is crazy. Compulsive liar, unbalanced, unpredictable, and pretty much out of her damn mind. She is also a horrible wife and mom. I don't want bipolar people around me or my family. They are mentally damaged

I am sorry but this is just wrong! I happen to be bi-polar. I have manic episodes and depressive episodes. I do take my meds like I am supposed to. I am a mom of four. I am a good mom! I cook,clean,and am always there for my children.I am a good wife as well! I think it is unfair to claim that all bi-polar people are mentally damaged just because of your sil.
    mommyoftwins213

Answer by mommyoftwins213 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2010