2nd Shift

Does anyone else's hubby work the evening/2nd shift (like 4pm-midnight) and HATE it??

My kids hate it, I hate it - it's horrible.

I try and find the positives but man, I don't so much see them.

How whiney do I sound?  I really am not typically, but we are a family who has dinner together, etc daily and this is impossible.  During school time, my 9 yr old never sees her daddy.  She has a degenerative disease and has a lot of problems as a result - and it's hard on everyone but especially so on her. 

AAAMama

Asked by AAAMama at 2:46 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• You know, maybe during that time that he is forced to take off, your family will have a great time of just bonding and loving each other. I can't imagine what you are going through, but the silver lining is that he will be able to get in some much needed family time. Who knows, maybe some inspiration and a new opportunity as well. I wish your husband a speedy and steady recovery, and you the strength to keep the house running and the spirits up. :)

Does he have any seniority to choose his shift? My hubby does, and that is why he was able to get this new shift this time around. They place bids for shifts every 6 months.

squish

Answer by squish at 4:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My hubby is working nights right now, but will be working the late evening shift like yours soon. We are elated that he was able to get on this shift, because our kids are not in school yet. We probably would not choose that if we had school schedules to contend with because they would never see their dad! I am so sorry you are dealing with this issue... shift work really sucks. Does he have any other options? Can your daughter switch to a Charter home school? In our area, Charter home schools work more like college in the fact that you go to school only a few days a week, and homeschool the rest. Maybe that would be a better fit for your family life?
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We do homeschool our 14 yr old - but the 9 yr old needs the structure and routine of the public school. DH used to be on 2nd shift then got nights/3rd shift. While not ideal, it works well for us but then in September, he broke his back at work - so until surgery, they have him on 2nd shift. I just pray after he heals from surgery (scheduled January 29th and he's scheduled to be off work 3-9 months) that he's put back on nights.
    AAAMama

Comment by AAAMama (original poster) at 3:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I hope so too because my daughter has a lot of medical needs and she loves her daddy and there isnt anything in the world he wouldnt do for her but he has to work so im sure those 3-9 months will be well spent :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 4:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• well would you rather have him with no job like many people, or fighting for our country and you dont see him for years, or works away thru the week and home only on weekends ...yes it sucks but the bills are being paid i know you are probably just venting but MANY people are worse off than others...gotta learn to count your blessings ....good luck
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• well u could plan a special activity for father and daughter on his off nights if he does not work 7 days a week. i know it's tough but we all have to make sacrifices one way or the other
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, I AM just venting - I can assure you - I'm VERY thankful for the job. AND if he didn't have the senority, it wouldn't even be something that was such an irritation to me.

His shift, by senority, is the midnight shift... but his employer put him on 2nd shift to get back at him for being on workers comp. I know that sounds out there but it's very real. SO after he heals from surgery and is put back on an unrestricted work schedule, he SHOULD go back on midnights. It might be another year, though.

In reality, the other night, I was just having a really difficult night with our 9 yr old. We just found out she has huntington's disease and as a result she has a LOT of problems. Often, any change in routine or one or both parents not being home causes her to have screaming fits - which she was the other night. I know this time will come to an end. :) I'm not an ungrateful person - sorry I came off as such.
    AAAMama

Comment by AAAMama (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010