Was your child resistant to pooping in the potty or toilet?

We have been potty training for a few months now, and my son will be 3 in January. He's doing OK, has no problem going #1 in the potty, sometimes on the toilet with a seat attachment, or in a cup if we're in a public restroom. But the boy just refuses to do #2 anywhere but in his underwear (or in pull-ups if it happens around naptime). He's pooped in the potty once and on the toilet once-both times he didn't fight me about it-but most of the time he won't tell me when he has to go, will say no if I ask him if he has to go, and will absolutely kick and scream if I try to have him sit for poop.

Just want to know from those that have been there-done that. Did you do anything to "break" your child's fear/anxiety/stubbornness about pooping in the potty or toilet?? We've tried offering all kinds of rewards, taking things away, saying that it's what big boys do, even telling him that one of his closest friends poops in the potty-I'm out of ideas!

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 3:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, my daughter was resistent to going #2 in the potty and I have heard of several other children who were the same way. I am not sure why though. My daughter would hide behind a chair and cross her legs to try and hold it in. The longer she kept from going, the more constipated she became. I just had to watch her for ANY sign that she needed to go and then I walked her to the bathroom and "helped" her to stay there . Good Luck
    lovetoteach1988

Answer by lovetoteach1988 at 5:34 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My 4 y/o still won't poop anywhere but at home. The doctor said she is holding it too long, and told us to give her Miralax at night
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes. Until my daughter was 4, she hated going poop in the potty (she's 14 now). She made herself really constipated What finally broke her of it was one day in the grocery store, she pooped in her princess panties. They were snow white panties- her favorite. Instead of putting them in a plastic bag and bringing them home to wash, I just threw them in the trash. She was heartbroken and never again pooped in her panties. We still talk about that to this day....
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 8:59 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son is 3 we are still working on potty training he does very good peeing in the potty , but he will not go poop in the potty.
    Kaydenz_Mom

Answer by Kaydenz_Mom at 11:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my son was potty trained for peeing by 2 1/2 completely BUT would not go #2 in the potty until the month he turned 3. No joke, all a sudden like 2 wks before his 3rd birthday he just went and from that day was totally potty trained, dunno why. Control issue probably and the fact that he had a new baby brother maybe (his brother was born when he was 2 yr 9 mos old)!
    kness7

Answer by kness7 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• also still my son is gunna b 4 now in march so he's 3 yrs 9 mos old and he refused to poop anywhere but at home.....he stayed with my sister in law for 2 days and didn't poop :( its weird, idk
    kness7

Answer by kness7 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• try dumping the poop in the toilet and tell him thats where it goes and then have him flush and wave and say bye to it...it worked with my niece...my ds just potty trained last month(4) and has been accidently pooping in the floor when he pees...he finally went in the potty today and he got 2 high 5's, a big hug, told how big he was getting, and a new toy...patience is all i can really say
    hammomof2

Answer by hammomof2 at 4:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2011