Why do people...

treat CM as the same as they would treat a real world Woman's Club?

even set with similar rules barring certain people from joining and entering their mix?

I've seen the real life clubs and the women have often seemed very catty and snobby to me.

But online, why treat it as real life? You can't actually bar anyone from joining or participating. To think its just "the people you want" here is very naive and close-minded, not to mention a bit internet ignorant.

I'm mean its fine to post up a list of what/who is allowed, but can it actually be enforced the same way as real life? If not, then why have it, or is it just a marketing gimic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think you make a decent point, Anon.
    I think people lose sight of that fact and get too serious about something they are unwilling to admit they have no real control over.
    Personally don't care who joins as long as they can contribute in a positive way and don't cause any problems here, that goes for everyone.
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 8:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Honestly, I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I really don't care if there's a dad on here. There have been several times that I've seen questions asked by someone that, because of the question, I suspected was a man, and even a few that outright admitted to being a man.

As long as they aren't being obnoxious, trying to pick up women, making inappropriate comments about, say, women's periods, the affect being pg has on a woman's body, etc, then I don't care. Men are (or at least should be) concerned about the development of their kids, what to do when this or that happens, an opinion on faith, politics, etc.

And honestly, there are some people on here who know who I am in real life, but for the most part, the people here wouldn't know me if I went up and bit them on the nose, so really, we are all anon on here :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• anyone can be on here.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• They know they cannot find every guy or ban people but this is a place for moms and sometimes there are guys on here no one fully believes you can keep them out. Like I said before anyone can be on here.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• This is a statement that should be said with a name. If you truly believe this, fine. But stand up for this belief, and do not go anon.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It is called Cafe MOM. Why would anyone other than MOMs even want to be on here? It is for moms, not for kids/men/dads/etc. If you are not a mother, then yeah, it may be difficult to tell that you are not a mother because it is the internet. But at least by "allowing" moms only then the majority of what you get is probably going to be moms. It even says at the beginning of the Answers section, to help other moms and share your wisdom.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 7:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I agree with mandz1 and sailorswifenmom

I understand what ANON is saying.....we really don't know who IS behind the screen names. And I've heard where men were on here posing as woman, some create issues, most do not.

I dont think Cafe Mom will add an area for Dad's at all......it would be the same thing on that forum...how do we know the "Dad" is just that based on the screen name and posts that he makes and groups he joins and photos added to his page?

As long as people participate and contribute like Mandz1 says in a positive way and does not cause any trouble...who cares who is joining? Be nice.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 9:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I know they can physically join, but not everyone is "allowed" to and I think all "allowing" does is keep the "unallowed" from having to hide themselves as much. Not sure why they'd have a stipulation like that unless its just for marketing purposes because anyone with any knowledge of the internet is going to know its not feasible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Anon or not, anyone can make a profile on here and put whatever info on it, its still just as Anon. What difference does it make what the screenname is? You still wouldn't know who it is? Its just a question and I preferred to not get flamed over it in Email. Besides you didn't really answer the question. So I'll take that as an agreement with me, but you couldn't think of an answer, so decided to be snippy instead.

From what I've seen of the forum topics, its isn't all the "mom" related, anyone could talk about 90% of these topics. This site is fast, informative and offers a place to be social for those stuck at home all day with the same issues, regardless of which parent is home. So why would a man want to come here because they want parenting advice, socialization on an active site, want a female perspective... etc. Basically the same reasons as women do minus the female specific issues.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• This is a group for moms why would you want to be on here if you are not one?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2010