How can I get my 4 year old son to sleep in his own room.

i have been trying to get my son to sleep in his own room, for a long time but it's not working with him. My oldest which is 4 shares a room with his younger brother. I have no problem getting my youngest one to sleep in his bed, hell sleep in it all night long.
so here is the question how can i get my 4 yearold to sleep in his room all night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• u need to just keep puting him in there. put him to bed. when he gets out, put him back. keep doing it. he will get the point that he has to stay in there. my son did this, and it took about two hours for him to get it. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I agree with mama2bof2. You need to keep putting him there and firmly telling him that this is where he sleeps. If you get tired and give in, all you are saying is--this is the point where i will quit so if you push it this hard, you will get your way. Just keep it up and you will get there!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I don't know, because I have the same problem, so here's a bump
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If you will put him to bed with the instruction that he is to stay there, he doesn't have to go to sleep, but he must not get up, and then tell him that he will be spanked if he gets up; and if you are willing to do just that, he will stop. It's more an act of his disobeying your directives and being in control of you than it is about where he will sleep. He is in the habit of making his own rules other places, and he likes the power that he has been granted. Now there's an area that his doing so is aggravating you and you want it stopped. He's 4, and there will be many other things he's going to do that you don't like, and you won't be able to stop because you have given him the power to make his own decisions too early in life. If you choose to take back that control, it will not be pretty and he will not give it over without a fight. So you will have to determine to be consistent and to follow through.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I had a terrible time with my daughter until she was about 3 and then had my son. It got easier to start her out in her little toddler bed by her taking her naps in there (or what she considered a nap lol) and then that eventally moved us up to bedtime. we would read a story and i would somtimes have to sit by her for awhile until she actually went to sleep, but it finally paid off after a couple of weeks and shes been good ever since. She is 13 now but all that seems like yesterday.
    jlhitt

Answer by jlhitt at 8:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• is he crawling into your bed??
    This is something I told my sister to do and it worked. She put a sleeping bag at the foot of her bed, and told her son he had to sleep there!
    After 1 week she moved the sleeping bag to the floor, at the side of the bed and told him he had to sleep there
    .After another week it moved to just inside the bedroom door,
    another week just outside her bedroom door.
    then down the hall the to just outside his door
    to just inside his door
    then up onto his bed. !!
    ta da he was out of mom and dads room for good!!!

good luck!!
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2010