Getting baby to sleep at night

Other than CIO, how do you get your LO's to sleep at night. My little guy is almost 14 months and I'm trying to change his nightly routine. He usually falls asleep in my or my hubby's arms while drinking a milk bottle. I just learned about bottle rot so I want to change this.
I do not agree with CIO (please save your arguments for this method. this post isnt about whether it's right or wrong). I would like to be able to put my DS to bed in his crib and have him just go to sleep.
Any tips?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 7:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• my oldest still took a bottle til almost 16 months. she woke up every night sometimes twice for it. the best thing i did was wean her off that bottle, and then she started sleeping thru the night. how are his day naps? are they longer than 2 hours? does he go to bed before 7 pm?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i know alot of moms on here have used soemthing called the no cry sleep solution. i think its a book. maybe something like that. my cousin use to give her son when he was young a bath before bed and then put him down. maybe even getting him really drowsy and having him go in the crib would be another option. i also had her fall asleep in my bed and then tranfered her to the crib whenshe was asleep. i weaned her from the bottle a long time ago but she is 21months so at 14mnths she was still on the bottle. instead of being in my arms she would drink it this way she did not go to sleep while drinking the bottle. now i just tell her its night night and she gets her pacifer and her blankie and she goes to bed. maybe put a toy he likes in his crib. that might help. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• get him into a bed time routine for one. If he knows what to expect it is easier. Sound happy and upbeat about bedtime. read him a story.
    If he cries go in and lay him back down and in a calming soothing voice say its time for night night (or whatever you say) the next time don't talk just lay him back down stretch out the time between going into him eventually he will catch the clue. add 3-5 minutes with each visit.
    You know he is safe so there is no reason to pick him back up or talk to him. the more you talk to him the more stimulated he will become and it will take forever. by you checking on him and laying him back down he reassured that you are still there and will feel safe and will go to sleep

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Just set a great routine... Dinner, playtime, walk around the block, bath, story, sleep. For the first few nights you WILL have to let him CIO, but it gets easier, for both of you,...
    As for bottle rot, it doesn't only come from bottles. My SIL would let her son go to sleep with a sippy cup full of strawberry milk every night... Needless to say, he is 2 with 4 silver teeth, and had to have 2 root canals. If you are going to give your baby anything at night, it needs to be water.. Only water. One bottle thats it. You need to teach your child that once the sun is down, and they are put intO their crib, they are expected to stay there until the sun comes back up..
    My DD is 19 months old, goes to sleep by 8 every night (she tells us when she is ready), and she sleeps for at least 10 hours straight, and doesn't make a peep until the sun is up. Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We don't CIO and I still rock my 22 month old to sleep every night. Usually after I rock my 10 month old to sleep, I start with the 22 month old. This is a choice I make and sometimes it'd be nice for her to get in bed and go to sleep and then I look at my 14 year old and remember how quickly those moments that I can hold them in my arms and soothe them to sleep pass - and don't at all mind rocking her to sleep any more.

As for the bottle with bed... it happens with drinking at bed time. If your little one needs the soothing of a drink to drift off - water is the best thing.

part 1....
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• part 2...

I don't believe any amount of "teaching" or "training" will make your child sleep a longer period of time. Some people need more sleep than others. Period. I have 6 kids - they all are individuals and have different sleep needs. Some are morning people - some aren't. Some are sleep fighters, some aren't. My son is 5 and knows that he's not allowed up until the sun wakes up - but that sure doesn't mean he sleeps that long. He doesn't get up and roam around until the sun is awake but he doesn't sleep that long - so you can't teach them to sleep longer.

If you find a way to do it - please let me know - because I've not found one yet - lol and might love to try it out! :)

Good luck finding what works for your family!! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i'm going to put it out there to mme langley who is not a langley only for the fact that she isn't even married to her SO that is only on paper... and that is a lie there... huh... we are not SIL and that's a fact... but my son didn't get bottle rot from that it is caused by other things too... so don't tell stories that aren't yours to tell.... but start your child off with napping in his own crib and work from there if you don't want him to cio... but shame on you cindal... really
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• So, you just want to know how to get him to sleep? Well, my philosophy is that they are only this young for so long. My daughter liked getting rocked to sleep, so that is what I did. You only have to worry about the bottle messing with their teeth if they are falling asleep with the bottle in their mouth and it sits in there. My doctor said that after 18 months, we should ditch the bottle...So, try introducing sippies (although some moms do prefer going straight to cups, it's really up to you). I don't think your son "needing" you to fall asleep is a big deal unless this is something you really want from him. So, that's my two cents. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Bottles of formula or milk (anything other than water) can cause problems even if they are used before bed or during the night if you don't clean the teeth. Falling asleep with the bottle is the worst. I have a 2 year old breastfed grandson and I have taken care of him since he was 10 months without bottles. I have learned to be flexible (vs routine) about sleep. His mother works late so sometimes I have him at nap time and when he falls asleep for the night. What works best if I'm trying to get him to sleep when I want is to play music videos on the computer and he falls asleep on my lap. He loves music. If he is tired he can fall asleep on my lap in the recliner. If everything is going wrong we may have to go for a car ride.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2010