How do I get the sour milk smell out of sippy cups?

With winter here (the heat is on) and Gabby (9 months) keeping us busy and Ally (3) throwing her cups in the sink and forgetting to tell us she is done with her mik, a lot of her cup have a sour smell. What is a good way to get rid of it? I have tried leaving soapy water overnight and that didn't work and I have tried bleach with no luck on that either. We can't afford to just throw them away (my mother's suggestion). I guess this is the right category to put a cleaning question. LOL!

Thanks!

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 6:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Try scrubbing them with a paste made from lemon juice and baking soda, both are natural deodorizers. I would probably scrub them good and let the paste kind sit on the cup overnight before rinsing it out.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• honestly i just throw them away
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Dawn always works for me, you will need a good squirt for each cup, get the water really hot and it will take the smell right out. I like the Orange antibacterial dawn best, it doesn't leave a funky taste behind on the plastic cups like other dish soaps. My son will throw his cups in the back of my truck and I always find them on grocery day.. a week later......or he hides them under my bed! Blech!
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• seriously i just bought a six pack of sippies for 3.00 throw them out
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i know when sippies used to have the white plastic piece with the spring in them, my mom had trouble with getting old milk out of the spring part. she called the company that made them and they told her to use a denture cleaning tablet. if you know somebody with dentures and can get a few, i'd give it a try, but i wouldn't buy a box just to try it.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Have you tried boiling them? Could work. I actually took mine to my sisters once because she has a dishwasher and she and I both agree that it gets the cups cleaner than hand washing (especially the inserts)...so take them somewhere with a dishwasher, silly as it seems...lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Wash them with lots of vinegar in the water. That will get rid of the smell. I do it all the time. First I boil them, then I let them soak in vinegar, then I wash them out with soap and water. Good luck.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Try boiling them for a few minute. Take all the peices apart and put them in boiling water for a few minutes.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Distilled viegar. Soak them for a few hours in vinager and water, then in hot water. Wash and repeat oif needed. Boiling is not going to help with the smell. Vinegar should though. If not, then I'd have to agree you need to throw away. Good luck. I hated finding those "special sippy's"...grrr EW!
    TaLouLaBelle

Answer by TaLouLaBelle at 10:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• A lot of the cups can't be boiled, the three dollar package of cups my daughter tears up, these cups she has were three dollars each so I can't throw them out. iam about to go try the baking soda (don't have any lemon, i don't think) and I have vinigar.
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 12:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2008