If you homeschool, what are your reasons for doing so?

I know a lot have many different reasons for home-schooling, but just wanted some unput from some on Cafemom. What made you decide to get into it?

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well, it started with my neighborhood first. We live in a bad, bad area with terrible schools. I didn't want to send my kids there...and I knew I could do a better job! Then as I started researching it more and more, I saw all the other benefits of homeschooling. I'm 100% happy and satisfied that we homeschool. Some of my reasons include freedom to teach Christianity, flexibility, smaller teacher-child ratio, no worry about poor schools, kids can take part in more extra curricular activities (since school typically is done within 2 hours instead of 6-7 like public schools), field trips whenever you'd like to wherever you like, we can sleep in, we can do "school" at a park, homeschooled kids typically test higher on tests than public schooled kids, and tons more.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I wanted to clarify my above post by saying I meant that we don't worry about sending our kids to schools that do poorly...not poor schools. My mistake!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I felt I could give my kids a better education. I didn't want my 5 yr old to spend almost 3 hours a day on a school bus. I was worried my son would be bored in school, being that he could read well before even starting Kindergarten.

I've been homeschooling for 6 years now. The reasons have changed some: Homeschoolers generally have better social skills than public school children. Drug and sex education is now age appropriate to MY children, not to when and how the PS wishes to approach it. My kids have more time to be kids, play, and explore the world. Education can be more in-depth, more individualized, and paced to each child's speed and level, rather than an abritary level set by the school district.  We have a closer family.  Our family has more flexibility to travel, takes days off, or ski.  My kids test scores are well above the public schools.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• This is our first year homeschooling but so far, I'm wishing that we had done it a long time ago! Up until now, our kids have gone to private Christian school. The public schools in our district are terrible, the 3rd worst in the state as far as academics go, and a huge drug problem along with many other things. When we were praying and talking about homeschooling, last January, God kept leading me to the verse in Proverbs, " Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." That verse is speaking to ME, not anyone else, and it is my responsibility to teach my child. We love the flexibility of HSing, plus it has drawn us closer as a family.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• In addition, my oldest son is very smart but has major ants in his pants, and homeschooling is ideal for a child like this. He can define his vocab words while jumping up and down, he can read while standing and when they both need to take a break, then they can go outside and ride bikes and run around. They can't do that in school!! Also, we are finished with school every day before 12, so we have the rest of the day to do fun stuff.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• currently my child is in public school but starting next yr we are doing Homeschooling some of my reasons are we can get the work done in fewer hrs he has more time to be a kid I can incorprate christianity in our lessons and he can learn on his pace and be taught the way he learns not like all the others in his class.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I couldn't get a copy of my child's immunization record to the school because the city's system was "backed up" for six months. We decided that instead of doing nothing for six months, we would give hs a shot. Six months came and went, and here we are six years later. We are very close, but at the same time my dd is very independent and confident in her dealings with the "real world". She doesn't carry the typical teenage angst or negative attitude that most of her cousins have. Nothing personal against public schools - homeschooling just works better for us. My mil used to be against it, but now she wishes all of her grandkids were hs.
    Anonymous

• My son was homeschooled till third grade. Then since my middle son needed special help we put them both in so my middle one wouldn't be alone in Kindergarden. Well, after my daughter was in school also and ready to go into second grade, we saw that school wasn't working for them. We pulled them out and it was the best choice I have ever made. I will never subject them to public school again.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• what they all said.....LOL !
    Anonymous