I am so worried about my son going to an fob in afghanistan dont know where yet

why would they send a surgical tech with the army also ? He is going for trauma training , then mp training and then combat training. I am pretty sure that is normal but I am concerned that he is going with the army to an fob .. forward operating base does anyone know about those bases please he is only 20 and i am so worried thanks for your answer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Travel

• Coming from a surgical tech(in the army). the fob that he should be at should be larger and better equipped then most of them. He wont be out on the front line....he will stay in the camp and the medics will bring the wounded to him. I know it is hard to not worry about him when he is over there but just hang in there. I know there are a lot of people on here that you can talk to and also im sure you have friends that wouldn't mind a freek out or two lol. Just try not to worry yourself to much. You can send him a care package and he would love that....but if you do that make sure you throw in a few hygiene things in there for him...that's what they seem to run out of the most. I wish him the best of luck and I hope that he comes home safe as well as the rest of his unit.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My husband has deployed 3 times already and is currently on his 4th. The FOBs are just the camps that they stay at, as a surg tech he would probably be at a larger base with a hospital. A lot of the bigger bases are filled with things that the guys are used to, shopping, food, a gym, movies. It is difficult while they are gone, he has the best training for what he is doing. I know it's hard but try not to dwell on your fears, it can make you crazy if you let it. Hang in there.

.hugs

lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Most of them just have tents to sleep and some that they work in. They have outhouses to do their business and have to burn it once in a while. This time of year it is sooo cold. His meals will consist mainly of MRE's (meal ready to eat). There are some fob's that are better than others. This is just my experience with being at a fob.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• They send surgical techs to FOBs because you need them close to the wounded. He'll be as prepared as possible through his training. Of course you're going to worry. That comes with the Mom Gig and never ends till you die.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• He's going to help the wounded, but if it helps any, he won't be on the front lines!! Try not to worry :)
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 9:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My husband is deployed now and he is a medic. The majority of the FOB's he says arent that bad, as a surgical tech he will behind the wire not out on the front lines. I think everyone worries if they have a loved one serving abroad.
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2010