WHAT AGE DO YOU DID YOU PLAN TO RETIRE IF YOU WORK? / OR DID YOU RETIRE YET?

I just saw on the " Today Show " where a lady is still working at age 101. She walks to work everyday, rain or shine, does all her work writing, no type writer or new gadgets she says. She doesn't have a microwave, but does have a telephone. She knits for a charity, plays the violin, and loves to dance, but her S/O has died. WOW. I retired on disability when my DD was killed, I worked in a high pressure, cut no slack for any reason Bank . Now I just can't go out and deal with the public after doing it for 30 yrs in different capacities. How about you, how long will you work before you retire?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 10:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have been semi-retired since age 50. I work on call just to maintain skills and keep my foot in the door. I had worked for 29 years in the same field. I would like to open a B&B, someday-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I had planned on quitting work for a living at 35. I quit at 35.
    I had planned on retiring with hubby at around 59-60.
    I recently went back to work as a favor to friends, and to our church but we do not need the money. I'd really like to go back to college and do something for fun when my kids are all moved out. I'm not the type to lay around.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have to work until I am 60 in order to collect my retirement from ExxonMobil. I am 53 now so counting the years down...
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I owned a restaurant and taught at local state college in Culinary. I retired at age 50. DH had retired at age 50, ten years earlier and wanted me to. I really thought I would be bored when I retired, but then an accident had me at home for 6 months, and I decided not to go back to work. I have not regretted it one minute. I'm glad I was able to.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Probably retire at 60
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I don't work outside the home, but my husband will be able to technically retire from his company when he's 55 (and keep his insurance). But since you can't start collecting SS or on the 401K until 65, we would have to save up a lot of money to live on between the age he stops working and when he's actually of 'retirement age'. Our hope is to be able to do that! At the least he could leave his very high stress job and do something part time with very little stress by that time. I certainly don't want my husband to still have to work when he's in his 70's because we didn't plan for the inevitable (old age), so that's why we are planning now in our 30's. We are debt free except for the house which will be paid off in the next 4 years, so we are well on our way to doing what we need to do.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Well, considering I don't believe social security will be around when Gen. Xers retired, i'm going to guess I'll be past 70.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Not sure. I guess it depends on whether I like my job when I'm nearing retiring age. DH is a teacher and he likes to teach, but he may continue even after to keep with insurance. It might also depend on what my children aer doing and whether I have grandkids that live nearby. My mom retired (not by choice, but plant closing down) on my baby's due date. Now she sits for me one day a week. Her and my dad go to the casino every other week just for fun and they have plenty to do. She had planned to continue b/c of insurance, but they're doing well.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have no intention of ever reitring. I love what I do and can't image stopping for any reason.
    www.mywellnessgirl.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 12:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I plan on semi-retiring at 40. I don't have any plans to work for anyone else but myself from that point on. I love my business and will never retire from that and in 5 years my business will be large enough to quit my job.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010