Marriage counsling?

Have you ever been? What 'general' issue where discussed? Did it help your marriage? Was it worth the money?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• From my experience there is nothing that can be accomplished in counseling that can't be done just by talking and listening to each other. Counselors aren't magical people that know more about you than you do. It wasn't worth it. I wish more than anything I had ended each relationship and saved the $5k that I blew on it.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Sometimes you need somone else too help you get passed it, work on it and build it back together....

Yes, I believe it is worth it... When you or he talks and neither one of you listens, that is what happens.

You need someone to talk to one another-because honestly sometimes in order for your partner to hear what your saying, someone else has to tell them.

I am working on my relationship now, and hopefully we will make it last the second time around. Neither one of us listened, and I thought it was all him... Wish me luck and good luck to you and your man... Happy New year....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We went and it didn't really get us anywhere than more frustrated. We did one session and decided that we would work on the issue ourselves and we have overcome that problem to now be arriving at our 8 yr anniversary tomorrow.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:36 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have never gone but considered it. Sometimes things cant be worked out alone. The counselor can come up with ideas of how to solve some of the issues you are having and cant agree on between each other. but if one counselor doesnt seem to help you may try another. Just like a chiropracter, the first one may not do the trick.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• A professional unbiased opinion will always help you both see where or what you may have done wrong or right. It can put you both in the right direction, but only if your both wanting the counseling. GL

zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• First of all, insurance covers a big part of it. We even got 8 free sessions with our insurance, after that we pay 20% per visit. We keep bumping heads on issues, we don't hear eachother. He has anger issues, I have resentment, blah blah blah. We both love eachother and WANT this to work, that is a key component to being successful. In therapy we are learning how to communicate better. We are learning that most things we say and do are about OURSELVES, not the other person. We are learning relaxation techniques and anger management to help us not have big blow out fights. Being there and working on this makes us both more aware. Hearing what the other has to say with a neutral 3rd part helps immensely. Depending on the situation, I highly recommend it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• A neutral third party point of view is always helpful. Yes, it helped us when we needed it and would have been worth a dozen times what it cost.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• we had to do marriage counseling to get married l it really showed us that communication is key and it was free because it was our pastor!
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 7:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2010