How long to hear from my son in a fob in afghanistan and what to take alot of when he goes

freesririt1990

Asked by freesririt1990 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Travel

• My son is over there and it was approximately two weeks before I heard anything from him...hang in there and keep yourself busy and don't watch the news. My son carried a lot of baby wipes with plastic sandwich bags-they are good for a "cool off" or nice cleaning with all the sand and heat. Once he arrived I have sent tons of batteries, wipes, snack items, DVD's, personal care products, disposable razors, magazines, attachable lamp for reading, gum, books, games, cards, frisbee, football, yo-yo....then once they come home they leave stuff there for the next recruits coming in and they swap magazines/books too. Hope this helps! If you want to chat more PM me.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 2:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• when he leaves and as soon as you know the address send the hygene prodcuts to him dont let him take them with him. he wont be able to take them on the plane unless there travel sized. and it all depends on where he goes. some FOBs have a PX where they can buy it. and some dont. some FOBs have the atvantage of having cash and ATMs and some dont. bring cash with him when he goes. hide it in a sock.
    as far as hearing goes it can tak up to a week after he leaves. sometimes even longer... depending on where hes going, and depending on if his flights arrive and land on time.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my dh went there last year and it was 2wks before i heard from him by phone. like the first pp said, it depends on where he's going. no need to re-write what the other 2 have said, they got it right :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010