What's a good asthma remedy?

My kids ages 10 months and 2 1/2 years suffers from asthma and I was wondering what is a good remedy or method to beat asthma when we're short on medication or if the medication doesn't kicks in? I tried giving them hot soup or hot shower but I don't think it seems to work. I have the heater on inside the home because of the cold weather but have doubts if it's a good idea to always have the heater on when my kids have this kind of condition.

q2khim

Asked by q2khim at 11:01 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Health

• Eating dark chocolate or black coffee with no cream or sugar.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• A trick our doc told us about is taking a Prilosec once a day and a claritin. As far as a home made remedy, I have none, sorry. This is so tricky, it took us three years of trialmand error just to get my dd medications right!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• And for another trick, stay away from dairy products when you think asthma is coming on.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Coffee does work, however if it doesn't, please just break down and go to a doctor. It's just not worth it. If those things aren't working, breathing treatment may be needed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Our pulmologist gave us a lot of ideas: stay away from steamed bathrooms, heaters (increases inflamation causing even more tightening he said try to place them near a cold draft for a few minutes kinda numbs the bronchioles, TBLS of honey, chocolate or caffiene, no dairy during flares, daily yoga or breathing exercises, with meds during a flare use the recuse inhaler first then the preventative opens bronchioles up first so meds can reach otherwise it's like hitting a wall.
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Medications for asthma is a must. If you can't afford the medications, there are free programs on the medication manufacturers' websites. Never, ever withhold a bronchodilator!! I had a friend die that way. She couldn't get to it. If you are desperate, go to ER and you can talk to the social workers there.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Get a good preventative inhaler. I used Advair every day. I never had symptoms. It was great. They have to use it every day in order for it to work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2010