Spin Off: Was it the 22 Psalm or did God turn away for a moment?

Here is the question I asked earlier...link. As you will see there are different responses. My question: when Jesus cried out on the cross, "My God, my God..." was he quoting scripture or did God forsake him for the sin he carried at that time?

Whats your interpretation? Or what does your Pastor teach you?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I explained my ideas in your earlier post. I see it as God could not look at the sin of the world which was on Jesus at the time He died.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Christ was fulfilling prophecy in what He said. He wasn't dying because HE was a sinner, He was dying to pay for OUR sins and paying for sin includes being forsaken by the Father.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Psalm 22 and I agree with Eilish about prophesy. Jesus was familiar with teachings from the OT (His father's written words) and quoted them.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Why repeat the question? You have your answer in the above responses and in the other question.
    Anonymous

• Before He was arrested when Jesus was praying, He was grieved but still said for God's will be done. He was willing to do it even though it hurt. I think it's important to remember that Jesus was 100% man and 100% God so it's only natural that he would cry out as a man.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 7:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i think you need to go and read the bible is all there. like kittieeashy said, before being arrested, jesus prayed to his father, in the bible it reads that he was so overcome with grief from all the sins in the earth, that an angel lifted him up, jesus knew what God's will was. he died in the cross cover in sin, he wasnt longer holy
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Are you asking about the apparent paradox of Jesus being fully human for the first time at the moment of death or something more? I don't think he was quoting anyone. I think that was added into the story so that it would fit the theology of the time. But fixing one issue just creates more. It was nothing more than a line added in an attempt to rewrite history and prove Jesus as the Messiah according to the Torah. A literal connect the dots of theology.

It bothers me that Jesus's death could be so anguish filled but yet Christian martyrs have met death with song and grace.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Jesus had upon him all the sin of the world when he was on the cross. A Holy God cannot look upon sin, which is why God had forsaken Him at that time.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• isabelle, the difference between Jesus' death and a martyr's death is that when Jesus died He had the sins of the world world- past, present and future- on His shoulders which seperated from His Father. When a martyr dies they don't have that burden. I don't think Jesus was whiny or complaining about His death, He came to die, but to be temporarily seperated from God had to have been tremendous, plus having the weight of all of those sins on Him. Just thinking about the sins of my life bog me down and potentially depress me, I can't imagine feeling the weight of all of them from every person ever! Thank God He came and died in my place so I don't have to pay the price for them.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Jesus quoted from Psalm 22 (and prob recited the entire Psalm as not every word spoken by Jesus during His life is recorded) which prophesied the Passion (all who see me mock me...they hurl insults, shaking their heads...they pierce my hands and my feet...they divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment).

If you aren't familiar w/ the rest of the psalm, it shows that Jesus did not think that His Father had given up on him but showed confidence in the Father despite suffering (I will declare your name to my people...in the assembly I will praise you...He has not hidden His face from him but has listened to his cry for help).

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2011