How would you react?

Our 23 year old son lives a few blocks away from us. We were hit by the blizzard. Not one phone call to see if we needed help. Hubby had open heart surgery a year ago. I can't shovel due to a bad back injury. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• That's pretty thoughtless, but the day will come and he may need help and you will have to make a decision as to whether you want to help him. I know it must hurt you to have that happen and I'm sorry he acted that way with you and hubby having health problems. GL hon.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:20 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Can you call him and ask him for help?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:16 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would call nicely to inquire how your son is doing and politely ask if there is any way he could come help you out. Good luck, if I lived near you, I would come help shovel. I am 53 and have lived in south Tx since 1981 - I miss the snowstorms from up north (as long as I did not have to drive in them - lol)
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• First I'd call him and see how he was doing. Maybe he was having troubles of his own.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Maybe he is busy working or studying. Maybe he thinks you will call him. Don't read too much into that.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Call him and tell him you need help. It may not have occurred to him, but that doesn't mean he won't do it if it's brought to his attention. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• How are you dealing with the snow otherwise this winter? Has he been shoveling it for you?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Um... call someone.

You are the only person looking out of your eyes at your life. While it might be fun to think that All Those People are sitting around in their houses thinking 'ha ha ha, she doesn't know we don't care at all...' they're actually sitting around in their lives wondering when someone's going to magically hear their thoughts and do what they keep trying to think other people into doing.

Teach your friends and family to openly request what they want, by example. Call them up, one by one and say: I don't know what you have planned for today, but I need help at my house with_____, if you have time, I'd appreciate it.

You'll be amazed at how much more effective it is than thinking requests at people...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Id call and ask for help. My mom and dad always tell me I never ask how they are or if they need help. I am the sort of person who expects someone to ask if they need help or tell me how they are. Maybe your son just figures if you need him you will call?

Answer by gemgem at 11:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Call him and bluntly tell him to shovel the driveway for his parents... Don't ask... just tell.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2010