Anyone have experience with febrile seizures?

My son was running a fever all yesterday, he's 4. He fell asleep last night in my bed. His last dose of motrin was around 7pm and around midnight i was moving him into his bed. He still felt very warm. He barely stirred when i moved him, he was wore out. I put in to bed and started rubbing his head to make sure he was back to sleep. I noticed he looked like he had started shivering. His bed was pretty cold when i laid him down so i though that was why. I laid down with him for a min and realized his legs and arms were twitching. I put my hand on his belly and i could feel the muscles contracting and he was really stiff with is hands on his chest. But he stayed asleep. I jumped up to turn the hall light on because it was starting to scare me, he seemed out of it. I watched him for a second more then he just rolled over on his belly and it stopped. After that I took him back to my room, woke him up and make him take more motrin. Can they have a febrile seizure while they are sleeping? Could that have been one? I have NO experience whatsoever with them.

Astraea_79

Asked by Astraea_79 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Health

• Oh sure. My son went through those. VERY scary! He had one at 6 and stopped breathing and ended up in the hospital.
    Good news is that they do no damage.
    If it happens again,just watch him so he doesn't hurt himself on anything nearby,and make sure he's breathing clearly after the episode.
    If they happen without a fever,take him in to his pedi. that would be epilepsy.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• thats so frightning. when my son was a lil over 1 his fever spiked and he had a seizure..shaken like a mad man eyes rolled and spit foam horrifiling i called 911 anmbulance came in the end he was fine thank god but they told me when a fever spikes high and fast it tends to happen and could keep happening till he was 5 when he got sick. there was no brain damage cause it was a fever induced sezuir they told me if it happends again keep him safe and away from funiture so he doesent get hurt and call 911. but did say he will be fine. all i can ofer u is call his doctor and tell them what happend and get there recommendation. hugs to u and ur lil one.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Please call your doctor and follow his/her advice. Exactly a year ago, today, my son had a seizure. The doctors wanted an EKG and EEG asap just to be sure. I thought they were over reacting, but did the tests anyway. Around here the wait for a neurology appointment is generally 3 months. During the wait he had another seizure. The first one was enough to set in motion the tests, which showed that he has epilepsy. The docs said that once you have a seizure there is a 50/50 chance that you will have one again sometime in your life. Once you have a second, it goes to 80%, so it's more of a when not if.

Today DS is on a daily medication and has had no break through seizures. He wears a bracelet that says he has epilepsy and what to do if he has a seizure. He is a normal boy except for what makes him wear the bracelet on his wrist.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My youngest take trileptal for his seizures - it has made a world of difference for him and our family. My first son dies from havig seizures - the same kind that the Dr's guaranteed me woulkd not hurt him - yeah right - take ssizures seriously!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Thanks. We have an appointment with our ped in about an hour. Praying everything will be ok!
    Astraea_79

Comment by Astraea_79 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• keep us posted. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Wow, Not sure. I'd take him to the Dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Nope, but the good news is that they do no damage. They are scary as hell, and you should deal with what's causing the fever, but they actually HELP cool the body down.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Well she said it is possible it was a seizure. We have no family history, and since he was asleep its harder to say for certain it was since it could have also been some weird sleep things going on, just a reaction to being sick and feverish but not an actual seizure. But she said either way we would just keep an eye on him for other ones. He tested negative for flu and strep thank god. So hopefully no repeats of last nights odd behavior! It was quite scary!
    Astraea_79

Comment by Astraea_79 (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my oldest boy had febrile seizures many of them sadly and his developed into epilepsy, Glad hes ok just keep an eye on him when hes unwell
    mamatiff06

Answer by mamatiff06 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2010