3yo DS, and a possible UTI issue? adult content

I've noticed lately that my 3yo DS, who is recently potty trained, has a funky smell, like really strong urine, after he goes pee. He wipes with a square of tp, because he doesn't quite get the "Shake it off" concept, and I figured wiping with a little tp would save a lot of undies from needing to get prewashed. Last week, he commented to his grandmother that his penis hurt..it was only the one time that he commented on it, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble urinating. He is not circumcised. There doesn't seem to be any inflammation or redness on his penis. I'm a little concerned about a UTI, but not sure what symptoms to look for in a 3yo boy..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like he's not cleaning his penis well in the bath. The soreness isprobably under the foreskin
    is he having abdominal or back pain? Urges to pee all the time? Pain with urination?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• He doesn't seem to be going potty more often, or having any trouble with it. He doesn't like baths at all, and hasn't for a long time. Bathtime is a battle every time..so he gets them once every three days or so instead of every day. I'm 5mos pregnant with DS#2, and have a hard time fighting with him when it comes to baths, but we're careful about cleaning his privates. He doesn't seem to complain about any pains. The only thing that's really making me concerned is the smell.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Pain is one of the big things....he wont have abdominal or back pain until it gets bad enough to be in the kidneys. It would be best if you just take him to the dr to get checked out. Once it becomes a kidney infection it can get to the point where it hurts to even breathe....so its best to get to it before it gets that far.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Call his peds that is your best bet. My daughter had one when she was 4 ths's old. He really needs to be checked ASAP. This can make you very sick with temp, stomach, smell of urine and pain. If going to the kidney this is not only very serious but you will be very sick. I have had UTI's as a child since I was 5 yrs old. I have had both types of infections.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My 3 year old DS had one recently and we knew b/c every time he tried to pee he would double over and cry. Then he just stopped peeing all together. We had to go get him an antibiotic. The first question they asked was if he was using bubble bath and we had just bought some the week before and he had been bathing in it every night. Needless to say we threw that out.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010