Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Child custody question?

Im a single mom (or shall I say I was until about 6 months ago) to my 3 year old son since he was about 1 1/2. His father called the police on me and had me removed from the house and for about 2 or 3 months we lived in hotels and with friends while I saved up enough to get an apartment. When I did we lived in my apartment for about 2 years before moving in with my fiance. Over the course of having my son, I've had numerous jobs, trying to increase my pay as much as possible because I was soley caring for my son and the cost of living and his childcare was adding up because I didnt recieve child support from his biological dad. I recently quit my job because it was a manual labor job and I am currently preganat. I am of course looking for part time work, just to keep busy and help my fiance out so he doesnt feel the weight of our family on his shoulders, but so far I havent been successful. My fiance is trying to get legal guardianship of my son so he can add him to his insurance through his job. I know that the courts will want to background check us (our records are spotless no tickets arrests, nothing) we've both always worked and have educations, but with me not currently working and having had numerous job would that count against us for gaining full custody. My sons bio father does not work has no place to stay, prior domestics, was just released from prison on a felony drug charge for the 3rd time, and has never paid child support. We live in Georgia and are 23 and 25 in our own house, no convictions, no drugs, no domestics. Is it possible we would win?

Answer Question

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 11:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Adoption

Level 13 (1,326 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Sounds like you would have a good case for custody but I am confused. Are you seeking simply sole custody or for your fiance to adopt? Those are different issues is why I ask. You might be able to even go that route if you arent getting child support, but your ex will have not seen your child in about a year to do that. Also, I dont think you can add a child to health insurance until you are married regardless of if you were to get sole custody or not.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • there is a good chance that you would win. I have sole custody of my son because my ex was like that. good luck!

    Answer by Luckybear05 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • That is a good question, it sounds like you have a good case. I would have your fiancee check with his employer, before going through the expense and hassle, to see if he can add your son if he has legal guardianship. Some employers and insurances will not let you put a child on your insurance unless they are yours(through birth, adoption, marraige, etc).

    Answer by Tawneekitn at 4:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • I think you may want to consider getting married first. If you are married, your child can be added to your fiancee's insurance. Then you wouldnt have to worry about guardianship simply to get insurance.


    Answer by 2ndtimewish at 1:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011


    Answer by 19angie74 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.