thumbsucking...no bashing put in relationships not sure where to post this.. :S

I'm 23 almost 24 years old and I still somehow suck my thumb almost EVERY night in my sleep. Never awake doing it so do not think that! I just suck my thumb in my sleep almost every night I've woken up a few times doing it and my husband has caught me numerous times! Why is all I want to know? I mean everywhere on the internet says things that lead me to believe I was molested as a child and I am seeking security because of just that. I didn't have the best childhood, but I never recall every being touched inappropriately by anyone......anyone have a take on why I might do this...? PLEASE no bashing I am already SEVERELY embarrassed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• It's a habit. It doesn't have to mean anymore than that. People smoke... that's putting something in your mouth out of habit too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i dont have a clue, i do have a cousin who at 35 still does it in her sleep too and i know she wasnt abused as a child....my dd 13 sucks her thumb (has from birth) and i know she's never been abused......i asked the doc once and she said it was a comfort thing and as long as she wasnt doing it during the day to let it go and not make a big deal over it......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It's not always molestation, sometimes, it is just a habit that you have that you haven't figured out how to break. It is most likely a comfort thing, but not necessarily because you were molested. I have my own little comfort thing that I haven't outgrown from childhood as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i was going to say the same thing habit... just like those who sleep with there special blanky still... if it makes you sleep at night and it's not a public thing then you have no worries.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I wonder if it just carried over from your childhood....it's a comfort thing.
    I used to kinda rock/shake my body in bed slightly and it would relax me enough to put me to sleep.
    Anonymous

• It seems as though there is a need in your life that is not being met. Perhaps it is safety, security, love, etc. You will have to figure this one out on your own, because I cannot tell you what your needs are. Take some time by yourself to write down the things that make you feel happy, safe and secure. Now list the things that do not and why. Ask yourself "What is going on in your life that you feel the subconscious need to regress to infantile behavior?"

If you cannot get to the problem that is causing your behavior on your own, please consider seeing a therapist so that you can get this behind you.

Good luck and I hope you get to the root of this.

Renee
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My cousin did the same thing well into his teenage years, he started taping a sock over his hand at night and it seemed to work.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I sucked my thumb until I was 10 and only stopped because I got a thumb guard put in my mouth by the dentist. I fully believe that I would be in your position now if it wasn't taken care of. Part of the reason my parents did that was because I was damaging my teeth and mouth.

It was simply a habit. When I was a baby, my parents thought it was "cute" that I sucked my thumb. They tried to stop it when I got older, but nothing worked. It is not like a paci that you can just get rid of, it is your thumb!! It is a very difficult habit to break.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010