• In the Spotlight:

can i give a drop of olive oil to my 6 month old for constipation.

naira768

Asked by naira768 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I guess you could. Are you SURE he's constipated?
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 12:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• have you tried gripe water??
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Use Karo syrup the clear kind. My son was constipated when we came home from the hospital and that's what my dr told me to give him. It worked you use one teaspoon for every 2 ounces I believe.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• No Karo, please. Botulism risk, same as honey.

Be sure it IS constipation, which is the passage of hard dry pellets. Not pooping is NOT constipation... especially if you happen to breastfeed. A breastfed baby can go many days with no BMs. If it IS constipation, best remedy is to cut solids and up the formula/breastmilk. All the way to the first birthday, the liquid meal takes precedence over solids. You CAN do olive oil... may not help but won't hurt.

Oh. And no rectal stimulation unless directed by the doc... it can lead to dependency on stimulation and fecal impaction.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Corn syrup, really?

Yes, the olive oil is fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• NEVER give a baby karo, it's a botulism risk like honey, and just is not good for them. I dont know how ingesting a drop of olive oil would help, it might work better if you massage baby's anus with it to stimulate his urge to go. Since he's 6 months you can give him a few bites of prunes or applesauce, or an ounce of apple or pear juice with an ounce of water mixed in.
    Anonymous

• I agree with gdiamante. It is only constipation if it comes out hard and pebbly. It is normal to go up to 10 days without a BM.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• NO KARO. Be certain it's true constipation. More details are needed to be able to help you more though. Baby's diet? How often does baby go? What is the stool LIKE?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my doctor tells me to give my youngest that is 5 to do the miarlax. It was it easier to go. Plus lay them on their backs and pedel legs like a bicycle helps and when older can use a bench. I never even heard of the olive oil thing. Plus they even have gas relief drops on the baby section at grocery stores, and places like walmart.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I LOVE that I get voted down for stating the truth. Go ahead, check out Karo's website if you don't believe me. They specify that it should not be given to infants.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2010