at what age do you get them a toddler bed?

My 15 month old is getting to the point where she is trying to climb over the side of her crib when she wakes up in the mornings or if I put her down for her nap and she's fighting sleep. She is pretty tall for her age too so I give her maybe a month or two and she will definitely be able to climb over the side and I'm afraid she's going to get hurt.

What age do kids typically start sleeping in toddler beds?

nessani28

Asked by nessani28 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter was/is tall for her age too!! i swtiched her over to a twin size bed one week after her 1st bday.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If they're climbing, it's safer to change. This happens at different ages for each child. My son was pretty young when he was getting out of his bed and leaving his room. A couple of times he even climbed back in and I was thinking I was insane that he'd been out of his bed. I took the front off the crib and used the daybed thing first and it was just too high. So, we switched to toddler bed pretty quickly. 16 or 17 months, or so. Then, we just worked on every night that we don't get up without calling for mommy.

My 22 month old dd is still not in a toddler bed and may not be for a while - I'm not sure yet - she's starting to think about climbing but hasn't yet - so she'll be in her crib a good few more months, I figure.

Good luck!! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We switched over at around 18 months.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Also, like the first reply from alexis_06 - my 14 yr old was tall and never used a toddler bed - we began with a twin mattress straight on the floor for her - then graduated to a mattress and box spring then moved up to a bed frame. I did it this way because I was nervous about her rolling off the bed.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• ds was 19 months old. He was never a cliber but he started hating the confinement. I gave the toddler bed a try and he did great right away! I did some extra baby-proofing by covering all the outlets, hiding any exposed wires and nailed the bookshelf to the wall. Once he was tall enough to reach the knobs I put knob covers on the doors. It did take him a while to get used to the freedom. He didnt always lay right down during naptime. He'd play then fall asleep on the floor or glider chair. I removed the chair from his room and always picked him up and put him in his bed. He got the hint after a while and does great!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my son was 18months
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son was about 15 mo my daughter was 2 (because we needed the crib for #3) and our son was 2 inSept and still happy in the crib and not trying to get out so in he stays!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. If she's climbing she could get hurt. Mind you it probably wont be easy making the transition, my son thinks nap time is play time most of the time. I had to put my son in a toddler bed early because he had just gotten staples in his head (Climbing and falling off a chair), I didn't want to risk it.
    CadensMama117

Answer by CadensMama117 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We switched around 18 months, but you will know when your kid is ready.......
    NikkiT81

Answer by NikkiT81 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2010