Please help! Has anyone taken zoloft while breastfeeding?

It's supposed to be safe but I don't always trust the guidelines.

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Zoloft is actually the recommended antidepressant while breastfeeding, and that's straight from the nation's leading expert on meds and mother's milk. Go ahead and take it. NOT a worry in ANY respect.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It is safe. Good place to check are Dr. Hale's book, Medications and Mothers Milk, or through his website, and the LactMed data base which can easily be found by googling LactMed, though Dr. Hale's stuff is more laymen's terms, for me it is easier to understand. You can also always ask an IBCLC, or a LLL leader for accurate information. I got Dr. Hale's book used on Amazon for pretty cheap if you are interested in a copy.

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I took it while pregnant and my son was born with emotional challenges I do not agree with it during pregnancy however with that said I do believe it is ok for breastfeeding.

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• HI.... I did NOT take Zoloft, but I did take Prozac and then switched back to Citalopram after my baby was born. Every doctor is different, but my doctor agreed, it was the best choice for me. Some medications are better than others, but I have heard Zoloft is a safe medication :-)....

Answer by msparklym13 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I did. It was fine for me, always check with your dr.

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010