My MIL's flight is landing at 11am today. Give me advice to retain my sanity!!!

She's staying with us, in our home, for a whole week. She lives on the opposite coast from us which is the only reason we haven't killed each other yet! (Just kidding, I am VERY polite to her since she is the mommy of my husband) Anyhow, she doesn't like me and she downright hates my 14 yr old. Hubby is on his way to the airport to get her.

Words of encouragement or even evil MIL stories will be helpful. Thanks and hope you all have a better day (week) than I'll be having!

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 12:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Personally I wouold say don't pick her up LOL but since thats not an option, I wouldtake me and ALL my kids to a hotel for that week especially if she is going to treat your child different than any of the others.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Take deep breaths. Do you have something that calms you? Sewing, bubble bath, doing dishes, hanging/folding laundry, whatever it is, find some time to do it or make an excuse to do it while she's there. Remind yourself it is only a week. Think of things you two have in common. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have Xanax... lol
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Well, I can't give you any "my MIL is the nicest person ever" stories because I've never felt that way. I can tell you that the gift I enjoyed giving her most (with my sick twisted sense of humor) was her tomb stone. When my FIL passed away he did not have a lot of insurance so hubby and I bought his burial plot and stone. Since my MIL was worried that someone else would "get her spot" we bought the plot next to his and a double headstone so no one would accidentally be buried there (yes, she was paranoid about it). Hubby, being the very logical man he is, called it her birthday and Christmas present (her b-day is just days after Christmas). Every time someone asks what they should get their MIL, I automatically think burial plot! LOL I think next year we might get her life insurance!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Four words: Kill her with kindness. If she still reacts badly to you or your child, sit down and talk to her about it. Let her know how it makes you feel. Use statements like this "It makes me feel ________ when you _______." That way you are not accusing her of anything.

My sister has the monster MIL and she just avoids her altogether. She has bent over backwards for the woman and she is still treated like trash. Her MIL has only sons and cannot stand any of their wives. She talks about her daughters in law behind their backs and to each other. They don't have to see her often, which helps, but my sister finally told her off and things have improved some. I'm not saying you should let her have it, but do let her know how she makes you feel. Just word it in a way that will not cause her to become confrontational.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Just remember it is only a week 7 days, there is an end! Mine has been here since september with no end in sight! (she says screaming!)
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 12:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• OMG, I am literally ROFL! Thank you for that scout_mom..oh, crap that was funny...
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Slip her some Simply Sleep?
    IDK. We don't like to stay but a few days at my inlaws, and we get along. We just feel that we outstay our welcome. That's coming from my hubby and me. But, I guess if someone's gonna FLY out someplace, they gotta stay more then 2-3 days, huh?
    I think if I were in your shoes, as soon as she started in on me, or my kid, I would antagonize her to no end. I wouldn't be able to help it. If she can't behave, then put her in her place. I'm in a mood.

Maybe your hubby will be owing you a day at the spa!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Gotta love Xanax!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Option 1, go shopping a lot with dd and make a point to be gone a lot. Option 2, drink vodka like it is water. ;)
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2010