How do you deal with missionaries that try to preach their religion to you?

I really admire their dedication but I hate when they try to "push" their religion on me. I don't want to be rude and blow them off but I don't want to sit there and listen to them either because they are not going to convert me. I just never know what to say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Me I let them know I appreciate them stopping by, I say that I do not believe in religion, that no they are not going to save me and they are better off heading on down the road to the next house. I am always friendly when I say it, and they leave on good terms.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My family doesn't believe in a higher power, but we usually listen and thank them. Sometimes you just have to consider peoples intentions. They are coming to try to share beliefs that they think will benefit you and have benefited them. Whether you're going to agree or not only has to matter as much as you let it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• OMGosh...once I started really studing my faith and preparing for evangelizing myself. I would just wait outside infront of my house waiting for the JW or others walking down the street on Saturday morning so they could see me outside and stop to talk to me. LOL

They must have had my house marked becuase often they would say "Hello" and keep going. :(
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• One time one said she was dusting her feet...:( I know that's what the bible say, but I would NEVER say it outloud.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I usually just slam the door in their face after saying no thank you
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• We don't open the door =] We turn the TV off and stay really quiet until they give up and go to the next house. My boyfriend and I aren't brave enough to slam the door in their faces, he stood there for an hour one time talking to some missionaries *sigh*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• One time I ordered a free tape about the life and ministry of Jesus over the phone. I spoke to a very pleasant rep., who took my order, and asked if I minded that a representative of their church delivered the tape. What he DID NOT tell me was that 10 thousand MORMONS would show up at my door, trying to push their books, and their beliefs onto my family. They would show up and call(yes we were dumb enough to give them our phone number)at all hours of the day, asking whether we had read their books and what we thought of them. They showed up at suppertime, and would stay for two to three hours, wanting to discuss their version of the Bible and their books that "supplemented" it. My husband finally told them that we just don't believe that God has a wife, or any of the other things they tried to push on us. They finally gave up. Now I know better than to give them an inch!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 7:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i think it's just fine to say to them thank you but no thanks. we have had missionaries here before but just not interested.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• LOL - I invite them in and discuss mine!! Once you start backing up your position with Scripture, many leave.

I haven't had any JW or Mormons come to my door in quite some time . . . .
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 7:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I finally told them that I do not believe as they do, and I do not want them
    trying to push their beliefs on me. They said they have to put that on their
    list, and they are not allowed to visit your house again. (Thanks for finally
    telling me after so many years.) I used to I tell them that I am a Born again
    Christian, and I used to preach right back at them. I had a young guy tell
    me that I made some good points. If you convert enough of their people,
    they won't let any more of them come around...LOL. The one thing I used
    to do that I think is best, is ask them to let me pray with them, then I asked
    God to open the eyes of which ever of us is blind to the Truth. They whole-
    heartedly agreed, believing it was ME As they left, believing that they just
    hooked another one, I just smiled and thanked God that He will open THEIR eyes.
    Victory444

Answer by Victory444 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008