Drinking wine or wine coolers while pregnant

I'm turning 21 while pregnant and nearing the end of my second trimester. I've known people that have consistently drank wine while pregnant and tried convincing me that it was totally fine. Whether it is or isn't, I'd rather just not risk drinking like that throughout pregnancy! However, I just so happen to be turning 21 while pregnant. We're going out to a nice dinner and then to a movie :]

I was wondering if anyone else had been in this position and if you had ordered a glass of wine or a wine cooler while pregnant? I was thinking IF I did that I'd only have one glass, and mix it with sprite or something. Of course I wouldn't be doing it for any sort of "buzz" it'd only be just to pretend like I'm celebrating by actually ordering an alcoholic beverage.

I have to admit that when I was pregnant with my son, at the very end in desperation, I DID have a wine cooler mixed with sprite because a family member had told me it'd help induce labor. I now have a healthy, happy toddler, but I know that doesn't mean it's okay.

Please, give me your opinions and experiences! Negative or positive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did not drink at all when with baby and I loved to drink wine coolers.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I personally wouldn't risk it. I know they say one glass shouldn't hurt anything, but it just wasn't worth it to me. If you want to celebrate turning 21, go to a casino since you can't do that before that age either.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't risk it, they really don't know how much or little and what time during pregnancy can cause Alcohol fetal syndrome. It can also be different for every pregnancy.

And I have met ppl with the syndrome as well as parents of children and its a heart breaking syndrome.

I understand wanting to celebrate your b-day but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Good luck!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i didn't drink a drop while I was pregnant, just to be safe. I read this: When you drink alcohol during pregnancy, this alcohol travels through your bloodstream, crosses the placenta, and affects your developing baby. This means that when you drink alcohol during pregnancy, your baby is drinking along with you. Unfortunately, because your baby's body cannot break down the alcohol at the same rate as you, he or she may end up with higher levels of blood alcohol. This can endanger your baby health.

I wouldn't take the chance.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i wouldnt do it at all but i dont think the risk is worth it you will be leagal to drink for a long time now. So dont worry about it and just do whats right for baby.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• There is a new study out that says its ok to drink mildly while pregnant. Logically if you think about our history do you think renaissance women stopped drinking wine when they were pregnant? How about women in the martini sipping 60's? We didn't get to be the rulers of the planet by killing off our offspring by consuming a few drinks.

I only have half a beer or half a glass of wine once ever few weeks. My doc is ok with it especially since my baby is developing so well.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My midwife told me that half a glass of a good red wine a couple of times a week was okay. Wine coolers, no way.
    Anonymous

• 1/2 a glass of wine is fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yeah I wouldn't drink more then 1/2 glass of wine.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't have anything but a teeny tiny sip. How about a sparkling cider in a wine glass??? Pretend!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010