When losing weight, and changing your lifestyle, how often should you weigh, and why?

Sometimes I get obsessed with the scale. It sucks when I weigh and see that I've gained weight when I've worked hard, or lost when I haven't done anything. I'm thinkin I shouldn't do it at all. My clothes and my eyes should be able to tell me if I've lost weight. It's not about the number on the scale anyway, it's about how I feel. Even tho I do have a number goal.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I weighed everyday which was so disappointing,now once a week for better results.Good Luck dear!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• once a week, at the same time and in the same kind of clothes...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• The best time to weight is first thing in the morning just after your first potty break....always weight at the same time everyday. The morning is best because it is a true weight.
    witchymomslove

Answer by witchymomslove at 1:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• well i use to weigh myself once a week. and i worked at a weight loss centre for about 8yrs and we only had a weigh in with clients once a week. however sometimes its best to just throw out the scale and just do what you do and exactly what you said have your eyes and clothes be the guide. mine was all about the clothes. but its different for everyone. truthfully we all fluctuate every single day. and through out the week so true weight loss can not really be since every single day only weekly. that is from my experience in the weight loss industry.

lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Once a week is good, if you do it everyday it'll psyche you out if you dont lose an ounce
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• 1X a week too often may not show any results as your weight can go up and down during the day. Plus too many people get too obsessed with weighing more
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I refuse to own a scale. I think it DOES cause obsessions with many people. On my most fit days I could go up or down a couple of pounds daily/ weekly. It is silly, unhealthy, and unrealistic to weigh yourself constantly.

IF you can not function with out that out side validation then you should only weigh yourself every other week.  Since it is normal to have your weight fluctuate a couple pounds then you need some time between weighting to see if you are actually loosing.

But most people know if they are loosing with out a scale.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think if you become obsessed, then definitely limit it to once a week.
    I personally weigh every day - I have found it keeps me on track. If I don't weigh myself, I tend not to care as much what I eat. I don't freak out though if it goes up a pound or two because weight fluctuates and it's usually caused by extra sodium or my period and it goes back down quickly, but if it goes up and stays up, then I know I need to be more careful.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I weigh myself once a week at the same time, in the same clothes.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Once a week, maybe every 5 days.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011