Why are eyeglass frames SOOOO expensive??

It seems they make 2 kinds,the POS $40 ones,or the ones that start at $149! We went looking at frames for me because I'm due for new glasses. I was floored at the prices! Looks like I'm going to be spending $300!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• They are so expensive because they are necessary. We need them and we want to have glasses that look nice, so we will pay the high prices and they know it so they will keep raising prices.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i got mine at Walmart and Ive had them for a year. Got my kids their glasses there too. They have plastic frames...cause their cool mom. Those have been great and dont break as easy as wire frames
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Not to mention how easily they break! Mine alone cost almost $200 and that was on the cheap side from what the place had
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I can never spend less that $300 on new glasses, I have to have special lenses and thanks to that, I don't have a huge selection of frames to choose from. Yeah, it sucks. Our school has a program though that our optometrist participates in, so when I do have to get new ones (I usually go 3 years with the same pair) the optometrist donates 10% of my total back to our school, which is applie to our tuition. Not much, but if I spend $300 on glasses that's $30 towards my kids' tuition.
    Anonymous

• LOL! I just buy the childrens' frames at Walmart for about $10.00! But I have a small head. If I had to wear them all the time, I would probably buy the buy one get one pairs at Dr's Value Vision. That's a pretty good deal!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• zennioptical.com - You will never pay those kind of prices again.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• GOOD DAMN QUESTION! Same with Contacts. Man its so expensive to have bad eyes!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I went to an eye doctor and if I buy from him and pay cash I get the frames for half price. I can also put a down payment down and pick them up when I get the rest of the money. Another company in the next town will let you do it in 3 payments. Just call around and tell them what the situation is.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have a huge head and most of those plastic ones are too small for my face,lol!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2010