My 11mo old keeps having temper tantrums. How do I decipline at this age?

He throws things off his tray very upset, Throws his head back when I hold him while arching his back. When I put him down he screams kicks his legs, rolls around flailing like a 2 yr old. Will slap me, pull my hair and head butt me in the middle of the night. 27lbs 11.5 months old!!

Mcarreiro

Asked by Mcarreiro at 1:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put him in his room on his bed and tell him when he is calm and happy he can come out. You may have to carry him to his room several times before he gets the idea. The biggest key is you staying calm. Believe me I know how hard that can be!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Here is a great web site that teaches you about tantrums and how to handle them: http://www.nasponline.org/resources/behavior/tantrums_ho.aspx
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Stay calm, make sure he cannot hurt himself and be utterly unimpressed. Tantrums are attention grabbers. Don't give the attention.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I used to put them down and/or ignore them when they threw tantrums. I always figured that sort of behavior shouldn't receive my attention. They are now almost 3 and 4, and we don't have much in the way of tantrum problems.
    I don't know if it will work for you, but it worked for us. Good luck, either way.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Thanks so much ladies!! You all rock!!
    Mcarreiro

Comment by Mcarreiro (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Just remain calm and talk to him in a gentle voice to sooth him. He's too young to be disciplined bc he has no clue what you are wanting him to understand.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Play pens with only soft stuff are great for these tantrums. My son is also 11mo and I just put him in the play pen and 'ignore' him. )I still keep a close eye but I don't react. I also be sure to give him A LOT of positive attention for doing 'good' things, walking, talking, pretend reading, petting the cat genially etc...
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• A child who is most unlovable is most in need of love.
    When your child is upset, you should comfort him.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2011