Any advise to get my son to stop picking his nose?!

He does it so much his nose bleeds :( we were sitting on th ecouch earlier and he was making a slurping noise, I looked over to see blood gushing from his nose and all smeared on his face and he was licking it! aahhh! He's four and I've been popping his hand every time I catch him do it but its getting crazy!

coreym

Asked by coreym at 1:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• reward him for NOT doing it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• tell him one of these days his finger will get stuck
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• omg my son does the same thing... and it really is a bad habit.. i'm trying to make him stop as well.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I know there is stuff on the market that makes fingernails taste bad to prevent biting them, I wonder if there is something to maybe make his fingers smell bad to prevent him from picking?
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I don't know SpaceToast(which is an awesome scren name), my friend told me to put hotsauce on his finger...but wouldn't it just come right off?
    and I've tried telling him it would get stuck, that the booger monster in his nose would bite his finger off! All sorts of things!
    coreym

Comment by coreym (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Don't put anything on his hand that he can put it in his nose. You can seriously hurt the breathing method in his nose. And it is really really hurt anyway. He picks his nose because he gets attention when he does. More attention, more picking. And when it develops as a habit he does it unconscious after a time. So what you have to do is develop another habit instead of this one. And they can pick their nose when they are bored as well. So when he is home, in front of the tv doing nothing than try to entertain his hands: like give him a paper to draw, or give him some toys to push around, etc. When he doesn't think about the nose picking he won't do it. When he does it, do not show any interests especially if he picks his nose until it bleeds. Just go to him, clean him up, put him back to play. But do not say anything or make a scene. If you give him attention he will do it and it will get worse.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 2:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• That's good, I usually never said anything until recently when the bleeding began. If we were in public I would just reach over and move his hand away. I have noticed that he does it unconciously though. He's pretty active but I will try to give him more thangs to do! Thanks everyone :)
    coreym

Comment by coreym (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010