3 year old keeps getting bad growing pains..

This is about the 3rd time since my son was about 22 months that this has happened.. he gets very restless at night and can't get comfortable and tossed and turned and just bawls that his legs hurt, I have to rub them to help ease the pain. Tylenol doesn't seem to help and it only gets this bad at night.. This goes on for about 2-3 months.. the past 2 nights we have gotten a combined total of maybe 3 hours each night.. It takes a toll on both our moods but more, I worry about him and lack of sleep - he's already very emotional and well, 3 so he's all over the place with tantrums anyway but this just makes it worse.. any one have suggestions of what to do for the middle of the night to ease this?? the only way he slept last night was when I was rubbing his legs then finally around 3am I put warm cloths on his legs and that helped just a little bit..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Growing pains suck. It was only after I had kids of my own and saw their ped. that a doctor finally admitted to me that they were real. (My own dr as a child said I was making it up for attention!) Maybe going to a doctor who was 6'6" himself helped?

As for treatment, you're doing all you can, Mama. Motrin or some other anti-inflammatory/painreliever will help. A little. Heat and massage are better. Still, sometimes, all you can do is hold them and let them (and you!) cry it out.

My two are 12 and 11 and go through them periodically. I let them crawl into my lap and pretend I don't see them crying so they don't get upset and push me away. (Ahh... teenhood approaches!)

My local CVS had a microwaveable heat pack that contains a mud polymer. It retains heat for HOURS and it was cheaper than a heating pad. My guys love it for aches and pains because the heat lasts halfway through the night. Maybe it will help your LO to
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• When my husband was little he had the same problem. His pediatrician suggested that he start wearing cowboy boots. They have a slight heal and it would relieve some of the pain. As soon as his mom bought them, the restless nights went away. The ped said it helped align the spine and hips. It worked for them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• IMO 3 is a little young for growing pains, especially that bad. I had them from about 4 1/2 til about 9, and my kids didn't start having them til they were closer to 5. I would maybe call the doc just as a precaution, and to see if they recommend anything else if it's that bad.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried letting him soak in a warm bath? I don't know if it will help, but I suppose worth a shot.
    Good luck, Momma.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Thank you Geminilove - people who haven't had growing pains do not understand how bad they hurt!!! I had them growing up and so did my mom, of course we only remember then during teen years but it wouldn't surprise me if we had them at this age - I can't think of it being anything else since he cry's his legs hurt and only rubbing helps but I also can't do that ALL night either and he's so restless and all over the place when he does fall asleep its very much a deep sleep he ever gets in right now.. I will look tonight for the heat packs and maybe see if he'll let me wrap them up on his legs also - I have a call in to the nurse currently but so far have also gotten no where with my first two calls when it happened before for him.. I just feel terrible and to be honest, he already sleep the bare minimum for a 3 year old, he just can't take less sleep right now..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my son is 3 and he gets this bad too. on nites that he is having pains ill take him in the shower. i sit on the floor of the shower with him on my lap and while the water goes on his legs i rub his back and sing him his nite nite songs. it takes about 30 mins for him to relax enough that he goes back to sleep. then we get out and get him in his jammies and me(dry my swimsuit) then i lay him down and rub his legs a little bit.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 3:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son, 4.5 years old has been getting "growing pains" since he was little. His ped said it was completely normal. She also told that is normal especially b/c my son is tall and grows on average 5 inches/year. The first year he grew 14 inches.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010