Do you believe the Bible is fundamently intolerant?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 1:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I believe people twist the scriptures in it to make it seem like it is.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Crap!! Hit POST too soon ...

I was going to add ... People like Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church.
    SpiritedWitch

• Actually no, I don't. What I beleive is that some who read it are intolerant. And that goes both for Christians and non-Christians who read it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think forced acceptance is intolerant.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't think it is--or I at least don't think ALL of it is. I don't think the word tolerance is really used in the Bible, but there are verses that give examples of both tolerance and intolerance within the Bible.

Here's one example of tolerance to other types of 'Christianity':

Mark 9:38-39
    38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”
    39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'll see if I can find other examples too. BTW--I agree with the WBC example of intolerance above too. It definitely depends on what verses you focus on and how you interpret them.
    pam19

• Another example of tolerance:

When Jesus talked to the Samaritan woman at the well while his disciples had gone to town to buy food:

John 4:27
    Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find him talking with a woman. But no one asked, “What do you want?” or “Why are you talking with her?”
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Example of tolerance and a hope for peace between people of the world who have different religions:

Micah 4: 3-5

3 He will judge between many peoples and will settle disputes for strong nations far and wide. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. 4 Everyone will sit under their own vine and under their own fig tree, and no one will make them afraid, for the LORD Almighty has spoken. 5 All the nations may walk in the name of their gods, but we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I don't believe its meant to be intolerant. If I felt that it was I wouldn't be able to read or follow it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• No its not intolerant, if it was Jesus would have done what He did for us on the cross. NT is all about grace
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010