My daughter is 15 months and we are trying to get her off the bottle. She will take water out of a sippy and milk out of the bottle, but refuses milk in a cup. Has anyone had this problem and how long should I go with her not taking a lot of milk?

missyz77

Asked by missyz77 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just made my children go cold turkey. They will realize if they dont drink from the cup they will not get their milk. It takes a couple days and a lot of patience but it works.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Mine didn't like the sippy cup either. Finally, we just resorted to plastic cups with lids and straws, and they were NOT allowed to take the cup from the kitchen.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I am trying to do cold turkey...and yes, it sure does take a lot of patience!!!! I am giving her cheese, yogurt and other dairy to supplement. We have only been at it a few days but trying not to cave. Thanks!
    missyz77

Comment by missyz77 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Why don't you buy a sippy cup shaped as a bottle (like that big) but the top of it is a sippy cup. She needs to learn the method to drink loads of liquid from a sippy cup and not from a bottle where she could hold on the top part because she could bite on it. So she could control how much milk came out from the bottle. But with the sippy cup she can't. Do you have her top of the sippy cup from solid plastic or from the same material as the bottle? You can try to find the not solid topped sippy cup. They sell for younger babies who have to go from bottle to sippy cup. So they can bite on it. IF it doesn't work I would highly recommend the cup plus strow method. You put the milk into a normal cup and you give a strow so she can sip it out from the cup with the strow. Children love this method, it is fun, they can control how much milk they sip in one go, plus you can forget the bottle. Yaaaaaaay:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 1:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'm not sure why it matters what kind of vessel your child drinks out of... if she's attached to bottles, for whatever reason, why disturb her? Are you concerned that she'll be drinking out of a bottle at 12?

Because most kids are. Coke bottles, water bottles, and in a few short years, beer bottles.

Does it matter to you the shape of the dishes you have to wash?

With no disrespect at all and pure curiosity: why do you care?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes she all all different sippys---silicone spouts, straws and we've done straws in cups too. She likes it at first and then will refuse. I am starting now because I am worried that it could cause tooth problems and frankly, she doesn't need to be walking around with a bottle hanging from her mouth and I am tired of preparing bottles. Plus I know she can drink from the other cups.
    missyz77

Comment by missyz77 (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We have a hard and fast rule here - formula in a bottle - everything else in a cup. If your little one doesn't want milk in a cup - just stick with the other dairy. She may just not like milk - some people just don't (I've always HATED milk).

Good luck! :)

Good job on sticking with it - it's harder on everyone when you cave and then start again, etc. At least, around here it is :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Thanks AAAMama. I am trying to be persistent, but apparently she is too!!!! I dont think it is a milk issue because she will drink it from the bottle like there is no tomorrow. I think its the bottle that she is so attached to .
    missyz77

Comment by missyz77 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Missy my dd was 16 months when she stopped using her bottle...how I broke her she bite through her last nipple and that was it. It was cold turkey from then on out. I wish you the best of luck it can be a little rough at first but just hang in there! My dd in a weeks time loved her sippy and realized she got more in it lol!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010