Question for people who have a government run health care system.

This is not a debate, this is for people who know and have lived somewhere with a government run health care system. I would like your knowledge having lived with this kind of system. Pros and Cons and whether you would prefer to keep that system or be on your own for health care.

Again for everyone else, I am just wanting this info from people who HAVE it or have had it before. Not a debate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Health

• BUMP!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I've lived in the UK and now live in Canada. 

Pros:  I never have financial worries.  I never have to deal with insurance companies.  Screening programs.  Free vaccines.  Quality health care.  In the UK, pre and post-natal care at home and low prescription fees.  Free prescriptions and dental care for pregnant women and senior citizens.

Cons:  Waiting times and shortage of family doctors in some areas.  Higher taxes.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I prefer government health care.  I wouldn't live anywhere that didn't have it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• beeky, thanks for answering. What would be an average waiting time? And were the higher taxes worth the benefits? Which would you rather have UK health system or the US health system (where you have to get your own health insurance)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• thanks you must have been typing at the same time as me!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• What would be an average waiting time?   I can usually get an appointment with my family doctor within a week.  I called my dr on a Mondaylast month to book 4 appointments (it seemed we all needed to go lol).  I got 3 appointments for the next day and 1 for Thursday.   The waiting times are for referrals to specialists.  It can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.  You get seen faster if your condition is serious, but generally the wait isn't a hardship.

And were the higher taxes worth the benefits?  In my opinion, yes!  I have medical care anytime, anywhere.  It doesn't matter how much I earn, or even if I'm employed.  This is especially critical for the elderly who no longer have insurance from an employer or can no longer afford private insurance.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• beeky, I'm in the US and I when I call for an appointment for my family doctor it can be 3 months before I get in! If I say it is more serious it will be anywhere from 1 week to a month.....

Thank you for the info!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I agree with beeky. I live in Canada and can't imagine paying for health care. My baby was sick and I took her to the ER. We were in a room within an hour. When she stopped breathing they had all the equipment necessary to help her and then all the MRIs and scans were done that night. She was in the hospital for four days and a doctor saw her twice a day. All I payed was $25 for parking. Since then she has seen pulmonary specialist and tests for a million things and we haven't had to pay anything.
    There is no shortage of family doctors in my city and I can get in to see mine withing a week. There are also walk-in clinics so that you can see a doctor if you wait about 45min-2hours (depends on the time of day)
    I think that the higher taxes are totally worth it, and if you have a low income you get it all back in April anyway :)

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2010