i need new ideas to budget / menu plan to make things last any suggestions im feeding for 6 thanx god bless

chipNskip

Asked by chipNskip at 2:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Pasta dishes can feed many people and lately I have found that mozzarella cheese and Polly O ricotta have been on sale at the supermarkets. When that happens I usually make a lasagna because it can feed quite a few people and not be too expensive to do so. I also found that pork roasts, turkeys, and oven stuffer roaster chickens can feed people well for the prices but you do have to see what's available where you shop and the specials they may have at the time you are shopping.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have 5 kids at home now plus dh and I - so feeding a crowd is a reality of my life. I can say - I use my slow cooker a LOT! Cheaper cuts of meat and tons of options make it a God send for our family. We also have a lot of homemade soup.

Potato Soup is a big favorite around here.

Chicken and Dumplins - you can use the left over chicken from a previous meal - dumplins are EASY and inexpensive to make and very filling

Chicken and Rice soup - very, very easy - use left over chicken and add veggies, broth and rice - goes a LONG way. Add a grilled cheese for a special touch :)

Beans - I don't love them but my kids do lol

Taco soup

My family loves it when I put chicken in the slow cooker with a jar of salsa over it - I cook for several hours then serve over rice - the next day I make chicken tacos or enchiladas or quesidillias with it.

I'm looking forward to seeing other ideas and suggestions :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Turkeys have been on sale here - and they're great to use one night and have a remix and not even realize its leftovers the next!

My family LOVES homemade pot pie and it's super easy and very filling...

I use either store bought or homemade crust (double crust) - whatever meat I'm using - cream of chicken soup - and frozen mixed veggies - you can add diced potatoes, too but we prefer to not.... crust on bottom - mix the other ingredients - crust on top - slits to vent and 375 for about 45 minutes - a wonderful dinner is ready for you :)

Another pretty inexpensive meal we like is pancakes or waffles for dinner.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You can make soup stretch a long time, even freeze half of it. Same with casseroles.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Spaghetti, soups, casseroles
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Crock pot, beans and cornbread
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 9:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have a ton of recipes that are simple, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message if you would like some

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2010