Can a step-mom spank my child?

my son lives with his dad but I just found out that he is never there and his wife spanks my child with a ruler.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It's classified as child abuse if they do more than one open handed swat across the butt. However if they are a teen she has not right to do it at all. For that matter at that age no one does. I'd call cps.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I dont believe that ANYONE should be hitting your child
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If your child is in the Teens (13-17) group then your child can go to court and ask a judge if they can live with you instead. I think 12 is the age that they can decide where they want to live in most states
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Oh that's TERRIBLE... I would report the step mom or if the father was doing it, I would report him also - he is just as guilty because even though he's not there, I would imagine your son has told him - so sad...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• That is what I thought. I just wasn't positive. And I am trying to find a legal-aide attorney right now so we can go back to court. The last time we went the judge didn't want him to change schools.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I told my son the next time she does that to call the cops then me or my mom.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• ,.-~*'¨¯¨'*•~- ..i am a step mom and i would NEVER hit my step daughter ...and i would NEVER hit any child with any object either...and your posting in around a teens age so i am thinking this child is too old to be getting any kind of spankings...i would talk with the father and let him know if you hear of this again you will be calling someone and letting them know whats going on..
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My ex-husband's wife does not allow us to talk alone or in front of her. So we have no kind of communication.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• And to let everyone know my son is 13, which he just turned that in October I was just for his b-day now I am trying to get an attourney
    through legal aide
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Not with a ruler. Anything other than the palm of the hand is considered abuse. You are right to head to legal aid and fight. Good luck!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010