I was wondering

I have been hearing alot on hear about Obama's plan to "force" volunteering. Myquestion is would there be some sort of allowance or something if you child participates in programs like scouting or missionary programs in churches. OR would they do the scouting and 50 hours of volunteering. Im not looking for debate on whether or not it will be forced or mandatory im just wondering about the myriad of ways to volunteer and how they will decide on what counts as volunteering

elananme

Asked by elananme at 7:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• to really get an answer to your question you'd have to wait and see if the plan actually comes about or not.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• if your child does the 50 hours they get a $4,000 tuition credit but it has to be done every year.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 7:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• the fifty hours isnt a problem she does wayyyyy more than that with her girl scout troop i was just wondering if this would count or not. I havent found any thing on it anywhere i know to look and thought some of you ladies may know
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• hmm oxymoron...Force Volunteering...talk about cancelling each other out. I think it is great for people to get out and help others but I don't think there should be a forced anything by the government. It creates a sense of dread and it will make people not want to do it. Especially teens who LOVE to rebel against authority. If I was told in my teen years that I was going to be forced to do something I'd tell them they could kiss it, but I was not forced and I volunteered and I liked it. So much that I still do it today. I even volunteer in the schools to talk about volunteering. And I'm not forced to do it. Give our kids a chance to make good decisions on their own and with guidence they will make those good decisions.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 8:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• amyrw - there is no forced or mandatory community service - only if you child want to get the $4,000 tax credit for college do they have to do community service. That is the proposed program. At this time there is no program.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If you are inclined to volunteer you will financially receive help with you tuition. if you are someone who does not like to volunteer you do not have to and you will not be penalized. If we teach our children to love and help others. The nature of "BEING OF SERVICE" TO OTHERS WILL JUST BE A PART OF WHO THEY ARE. There will be no need to force.
    Actress.Mom

Answer by Actress.Mom at 8:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i think people should be given the option...not forced

i will refuse to my children forced to do something like that... its great to help.... i voulnteered time when i was in high school for different things, but if u force someone to do it.. it takes all the meaning out of it
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• OR instead of doing tthe required service hours. You have this option. (Oh, look here, Obama wasn't the first to think of it.)

There are already tax credits in place. The $1500 Hope scholarship and the Lifetime learning credit.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 10:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Where in the world is he going to come up with the money for this???!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• brandy - its a tax credit - not a check.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 6:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2008