Toy safety

I've tried to avoid Chinese made toys in light of the lead paint in Mattel toys and other recent health-quality issues in toys. I've been able to find American made art supplies for my older elmentary age kids (although I'm sure it won't take long for that to get old). I can't find any toddler toys that are made in America.

Alternatively, are there any toy companies that make a stronger effort to ensure toy safety? Fisher Price, Sesamee Street all are made in China or have parts from China.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I love Melissa and Doug toys for my two year old son. If you look on line you should be able to find several sources of good toddler free trade and high quality toys ranging in all kinds of price ranges. But nothing is better than actually going to the store and seeing it for myself. I like to have some idea of how it is used, feels, and looks. I'm very visual and tactile that way. Many toy stores, especially the mom and pop ones, are carrying a larger selection of "safe" toys. Most chain toy stores will tell you all their toys are safe. So look also for organic. When calling local chain stores ask them if they have organic toys for toddlers and for other ages you are looking for. It is becomming easier. Hang in there and keep up the green parenting.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2008