how to disinfect wooden cutting board?

is it ok to use it for cutting raw meats?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I do. Just spray down with vinegar when you wash it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• spray with a 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach, 10 parts water). Let it sit for at least 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly..
    Anonymous

• 1. you don't need to, because natural wood is naturally bacteriostatic (bacteria can't live on it)
    and
    2. yes

In fact, in lab research, it was found to be actually impossible to get a bacteria sample (e.coli and salmonella) to live long enough to test how long it lives on wood... while acrylic cutting boards were found to have deep, narrow slits that were impossible to clean bacteria out of --easy for bacteria to contaminate things weeks and months later, but not possible to sanitize, even with bleach, a dishwasher, or the most caustic industrial cleaners.

To clean wooden cutting boards: wipe off all the debris, then scrub gently with any kind of brush under hot running water, dry off and if it's looking parched, oil with any food oil (any kind will work, but you'll prefer to avoid strongly flavoured oils like extra-virgin olive oil) and wipe with a clean towel...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Rub with a lemon.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes you can cut raw meat on it. Immediately after use, wash with hot water and mild detergent. rinse and dry thoroughly. Vinegar will ruin the wood. You can use bleach water if it makes you feel better, but it's not necessary.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would not cut meat on a wooden cutting board.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I only cut meat on my wooden cutting board and save the plastic for vegetables. I spray them with non-toxic disinfectant and then run them through the dishwasher. Contrary to popular belief, it IS better to use wood for raw meat than plastic................for reasons that LindaClement posted above.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would clean it w/ vinegar when done. You should have 2 cutting boards. one for vegs. and one for meat
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2010