Seat belts

If you are over the age of 18 why is it illegal to not wear a seat belt? I understand it is the safest option, but the law cant force us to be safe in other areas, why can they force us to be safe in this situation? It is only harming ourself if we dont wear one. Is it because it is more cost to fire fighters and police and such because of more injuries? We have the right to choose to smoke, drink, over eat..but we are forced to buckle up...seems weird that we can choose that for ourself.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am an advocate for seat belts. i work at a company that maufactures airbags. Did you know that if you are in a car with an airbag and you don't have a seatbelt on, that the airbag can kill you since it's made to deploy in a specific spot and if you are out of position (which the seatbelt holds you in) then it can kill you?
    I am sure that you don't balk at your car having an airbag. So why balk at the seatbelt that holds to where the airbag can work properly?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I wear my seatbelt because it is safer not becuase of the law. I think seatbelt laws are ridiculous and one of the many laws made to control our lives.
    Anonymous

• You can choose to not wear a seat belt but you can get pulled over and get a ticket and pay it. If you smoke you will pay for it with your health, same with alcohol. You can choose to make a bad decission in any part of your life, but you will pay for it one way or another.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i wear my seatbelt but mainy for teaching my kids they must buckle up because its what safe. But in all honesty both seat belts and air bags can at times cause a worse injurgy then if you werent buckled up or if the air bag wouldnt have deployed. I think people should wear their seat belt but i do believe that if your over 18 you should have the right to choose to wear it or not. After all if you choose to not wear one your only putting yourself at risk no one else.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You pose a physical danger to everyone in the vehicle, and outside of it if you choose not to wear a belt. It is not solely for YOUR safety, but the safety of others. In an accident you become a fleshy projectile, with a giant bone plate- you should look at the carnage that unrestrained people cause, and not just to their self!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I wear mine all the regardless of what the law says
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i wear my seat belt always and always have..just wonder why its a law and not a personal choice.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I know I never wear my seatbelt. I am scared of it. I have been in two different accidents where if I was wearing my seatbelt, I would have died. I know it is not like that for most people but I choose to not wear mine. I don't even try to buckle when I get pulled over. I have never gotten a seatbelt ticket. I am honest with the officers about why I choose not to wear one and they have always let me go.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Personally I find it absurd that a person inside a car *must* wear a seatbelt by law or be fined; but they removed the helmet laws for motorcyclists here in FL - so you can ride totally exposed on a motorcycle with NO head protection; but inside my metal box; I'd be fined if I didn't strap myself down...ridiculousness...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'm ok with seatbelts. It's airbags that I wish were optional (or could be disabled if the owner of the vehicle wishes to). I'm ... vertically challenged. Short even. Only one vehicle I've owned had an option to extend the gas/brake pedal so that I could sit far enough back from the blasted steering wheel and not risk being killed by the airbag.

I finally had enough of worrying about it and disabled the one in my truck myself. I don't care what the insurance or any other entity does with it if I'm in an accident (I drive a five speed truck and there IS no option to alter the pedals) I stand a chance of living through it. I'd rather be in trouble or stuck with the repair bill than dead.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010