Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it to late to do last years taxs?

well my dumb husband claimed me in his and told me dont worry but now someone told me i still need to do since the first half of last year i worked. so what do i do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • Yes file now, each month that you don't file you are charged interest, 5% I believe and if you owe its another 4% so even just filing and not paying it if you owe saves you money.

    Answer by Allysmom11 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

  • It's never too late :) It will just mean a difference on how the return is processed. See if you can speak to a free tax advisor.

    Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

  • You can go in and do an addendum to last years taxes if you filed joint. There is a penalty bt if yo didnt make very much and below a certain should be ok. Go to H & R Block and they can help you.

    Answer by Momforhealth at 9:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

  • It is never to late to file. You can't file electronic, but you can print and mail it in. Since your husband claimed you, he should have added your income. If he didn't your going to have to file an adendumn. On average you will not receive a penalty because you didn't work the whole year. If your W-2 was submitted correct then and you are most like in the middle class bracket, you should be fine. Your husband can not claim you, unless he filed head of house hold. He must file married or it will be a penalty. Just because you made little or maybe nothing. He has to file married/joint. Or it will come back to haunt you guys.

    Good luck

    Answer by bluehope1 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

  • Never too late, but I don't understand the problem? If you filed "married filing joint" then your income should be on his return (well, your joint return). If you have income that wasn't reported, you can file an amended (1040X). If you have a W-2 or 1099 that matches your SSN, the IRS will catch it (but probably not for a year or two) and correct it asking for tax payments if necessary and penalties and interest if applicable. Again, I'm not really sure what the problem is... Feel free to message me. I'm an accountant.

    Answer by ferdo0204 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

  • You can still file your taxes, if you don't owe any money you won't be penilized.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.