ok i am 22 weeks and 4 days my doctor is telling me that the umbilical cord has 2 vessels instead of 3......is this something that i should worry about

redmisses

Asked by redmisses at 3:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I never understand why people don't directly ask the doctor when they tell of things like this. "Patient, this oddity has happened." "Dr, is this something that's a big problem?" See? Simple.
    Anonymous

• short answer,yes
    talk to your OB
    Anonymous

• i dont know if its a big problem but you should consult your Ob for further information. Im a bit surprised he didnt go over what it means.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• you know what smart ass it is something i talked to my doctor about i got his opinion about it..... i asked the question to see if there were any other women who have experienced this and what their outcome was, thats what i though this site was for, not for people like you to be a smart ass.............................anonymous #1
    redmisses

Comment by redmisses (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It *can* be, but isn't generally. I experienced it with my 3rd pregnancy, and in short, as long as the fetus is the appropriate size, no harm done.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• yes it was explained to me that the baby could have a low birth weight and this alone is nothing to worry about, i just wanted to see if there were other women who have had this particular issue
    redmisses

Comment by redmisses (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It increases the chance of birth defects. They'll probably do an ECG of the cord to look for cardiovascular problems

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• A gal in our church had that with her 6th pregnancy. They monitored her a little closer, did a few extra ultrasounds to check the baby's renal & cardiovascular systems, and said they'd have to wait and see how baby was at birth. Baby was perfectly healthy and is doing wonderfully now! Yes, it can be a problem, but it's just as likely that baby will be fine. The more you worry, the more it stresses the baby. Just concentrate on having a healthy pregnancy and not worrying too much. ~hugs~
    Anonymous