Are people REALLY still that racist?

I learned that some of the people of other races that I thought accepted me as me and dealt with me on a daily basis, no longer saw me as a friend but as the enemy, after the election. I believe we all have our misconceptions about other races and even have a bit of our own racism inside of us but the question is to what extent?
Barack Obama is man, a father, a husband, a son, a grandson, a brother, and an uncle to someone just as any man of any other race is or would be, why wish to see him die? There is no love lost on my part where George W is concerned but I never wished death on him.
What is making people tick and what motivates the racism, it is 2008, slavery is over, we have been free for 134 years now, we work, we own homes, we vote, we have children, we bleed red blood just like everyone else. There are bad people in every race, so why does one feel they are more superior than others?

Whoistheboss

Asked by Whoistheboss at 7:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sorry you were treated poorly, was it because of your race? That would be blatant racism how did you know these people were ever your friends? I would say good riddence to them who needs friends like that.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Wow, that sucks. It's a shame that politics can get between you and friends, but if it was just the politics that did it, were they ever really your friends? I am white and on the conservative side, but wouldn't screw a friendship up over something like the election, as strongly as I feel about it. We are all different and have different views, morals and values, and that's what I love about our country. That we all have these rights and can believe whatever we like. This was a huge election and I think it will take some time for the more heavily involved people to cool down. I hope things change for you (people not treating you differently).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The coworker and I talked everyday, enjoyed lunch at least 3 times a week together, she has been to my home and I have been to hers. We always shared a good laugh and stories about our families and the day after election she didn't say two words to me and hasn't since. I spoke to her and she turned her head as though she didn't know me at all. We parted on good terms the evening before so the only thing I can assume is she was angry about the election. She did come to work in all black that day, which I later learned that it was a symbol of mourning since Obama had been elected. All I could say is wow and I left her be.
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 7:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Wow she was really upset, definetly don't gloat in front of her. I was really upset at first too but I would never trade my friends for these bad feelings. But don't make her feels worse she'll get over it and if she doesn't who cares she's not worth it, move on. If you did nothing to make her feel worse she's not really a true friend.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I've always known that racism was alive and well as much as people like to pretend it isn't. Even before the election got off to a good start CM was a good example of that. I have never seen so much hate in one place. It's even worse since Obama won, and what bothers me most is that this is coming from MOTHERS. The things I've seen posted on here is beyond "just expressing opinions." Plots to KILL this man and his family, and other things that are being said are sad and disgusting. I like to think the people that think this was are a small minority, but only time will tell.

It just really saddens me that these "women" can speak like this and it's saddens me even more than they are raising another generation to carry on the hate and ignorance.
    4Girls1truLove

Answer by 4Girls1truLove at 7:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My guess is you don't really need someone like that as your friend anyway! To me, racism is ridiculous anyway, knowing that except for American Indians, we are all foreigners to this nation! I never did understand that stuff...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• girl..SOME people have always been undercover racists and all it took was a mixed man w/ a black wife and kids to get in the white house. Its sad really that people would wish a person dead, but hey, thats a reality. Hate makes you think and sometimes do stupid stuff..And yea, they can tolerate being aquaintances w/ a person that is not their common color, but guess what, when someone who isn't is in charge like obama, then thats when the problems arise. they feel since he's not 100% white(who is) that he's gonna damn the country or something. the man hasn't even gotten in the building yet and they are already speaking against him. and i look @ it like hey, we've been in a crunch since i started voting and anything will do than what we've been having. thats me though.some folk don't mind struggle
    mrsgibbs

Answer by mrsgibbs at 7:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I know, I keep asking myself what year is this? Some CM's have said some terribly harsh things before and after the election. I really do not understand the lack of intelligence or the lack of heart some people have. I keep asking myself "Why".
    As for your friend, I am so sorry but she is just a co-worker. A true friend would not have treated you in such a manner.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Racism is alive and well in 2008. I'm Arab-American and get quite a bit myself - For obvious reasons. Fear and Ignorance breed racism.. It's easy to hate something you don't know about.. Or if your just plan ignorant!! Hate is taught. So if it is passed down from generation to generation it will never die. Someone needs to break the cycle. This is why I teach my children to love EVERYONE. Because after 9/11 we got a taste of what it is like to be hated and discriminated against. And it's NOT fun!
    Habibti812

Answer by Habibti812 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I live in a very prejuidiced little town. I don't get how people can be so racist either.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008