What do you do when you hear of family having problems?

I used to fight with the neighborhood kids...
My sisters would call people names and upset them, I would be confronted and I had no choice or so I felt the rage too.
This was as a teen.
I now stay away from the twenty something year old sisters. I do not feel that they are worth defending any more. I once faced jail because of an arguement with a neighbor they caused.
The bad part is my younger sister could care less what happened to me, she said as long as it was not her.
And as a 33 year old it seriously frightens me to be around them.
I know family is family, but this is what scares me.
Am I over reacting by not wanting them around or by doing what it takes to keep them out of my life?
I have told them already they are not welcome to my home and I still talk to my Mom but she always claims everyone is trying to take advantage of her, except if I were to defend her on it, she'd be friends with those people the next day and apologizing for me.
I feel like I was used to fight their battles. I wish people knew what they said about them.
But I now live 300 miles away and well... they try but I refuse to visit or send my DD.

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 3:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• i live across town from my family and i try to avoid their drama as much as possible, i'll pop up over there every once in awhile when i haven't heard about any drama and i keep in touch with them over the phone! they find it strange now cus i was the one who use to fight every ones battles for them when i was a teen, but now i'm an adult with kids and i refuse to go to jail for anyone but my children!
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 6:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Well you have alright to not involve yourself with drama family or not I know my inlaws or nothing but drama I try to just keep to myself and avoid drama as much as I can.
    mercedes86

Answer by mercedes86 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If the problems are between certain members of the family, just let them work them out and stay out of it altogether. You already know they will use you if they can, so just don't give them the opportunity. You can still be polite, but you can also refuse to discuss family issues that do not directly involve yourself.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I moved away from my family. I love them very much but I hate all that stupid drama!! I still keep in touch by phone or maybe pop up once in a while but with my family, a little bit of them is enough!!
    jenna355

Answer by jenna355 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My brother used to start fights with girls on the bus and I would get beat up for it. I stay away from him now. I do not blame you at all.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i might not necessarily cut them out of my life completely (depends on severity of the situation) but i would stay neutral when it comes to their drama that's for sure. life is too hard to begin with; no need for unnecessary bs.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2010