What do you watch on TV? (and what do you pay for cable - not including internet?)

The other day my step mother said “So you have cable for the kids.” And it got me thinking, well no we have cable for me, but what do I actually watch.

I sat down and made a list - OMGosh!
My children watch 2 shows.
I watch 5, one of which is the news and 1 I can watch for free on SyFy website.

We watch
Disney (Phynis and Ferb)
Nick (Penguins)
Discovery (Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Deadliest Catch)
SyFy (Sanctuary)
Network News

And for that we pay $70 – just for the cable!
Basically $70 for 3 station (Disney, Nick, Discovery)

Here's the kicker, if I get rid of the digital cable and the DVR - Just internet and standard cable - I'll save an entire $9! 9 bucks!!!

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 3:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• LOL isnt cable great.
    we watch a tottal of 6 channels maybe
    we watch our local news channel which i think is on CBS
    TLC
    national geo
    NickJr
    Discovery health
    and amc
    and i pay 80 dollers a month thats just cable because our internet is through another provider.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It isn't about the shows I watch, but more about the channels, and most of the channels we watch are on cable. For instance, my son was Nickelodeon, Disney, and Cartoon Network. I watch HGTV, AMC, MTV, TLC, A&E, Lifetime, TNT, Bravo, and TV Land. Then of course my husband has his ESPN and CNN and whatever else. A lot of those channels you can't watch online. We still have very basic cable and every so often they take away more channels in order to try and get us to upgrade to digital but forget that. We already pay over $60 a month for what we have!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We live out in the sticks and do not get ANY channels unless we pay for cable or satellite, so we do have cable.
    We watch....
    Lifetime (ok I watch lifetime)
    TNT
    ESPN
    NFL network
    ABC Family

I could honestly do without cable, but I don't want to go without any TV at all.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We made a choice a long time ago to not have an idiot box in our home. So we have no cable bill. My kids are in our backyard sledding with dad right now they play and run all day.
    Anonymous

• I pay 77. We watch Nick, Disney, ABC Family, TNT and Cartoon Network. They should make a small package of kids channels and a few others :)
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yeah, ok Anonymous, but I grew up in a house without a TV and I want my kids to be NORMAL - but I have to say, with NetFlix and the Wii the only thing we can't watch are the new shows. For the most part, Last Season is already on NetFlix.
    Works4Mom.com

Comment by Works4Mom.com (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We have satellite because we can't get cable, and DH wants to watch his sports *rolls eyes*
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• @Collegemommy910, that's called "à la carte" and the cable company tells us that would be too expensive because of what they pay for the channels. So I asked "Really? Well what would happen if you dropped all the crappy channels no one watches? Wouldn't they have enough to pay for the good channels people actually want to watch?"
    Plus, I don't want to purchase the channels for Cable, I'd rather purchase them from the people who make the shows.
    Works4Mom.com

Comment by Works4Mom.com (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It’s illegal to reproduce shows - “tape something for your friend” (no joke!)
    But what if 9 of us were paying 1 persons cable bill! Then would it be illegal for that person to record all the shows we watch and give us a copy? They wouldn’t be making a cent. It’s not illegal for my BIL to pay my MIL’s cable bill - so what would be the difference.
    Works4Mom.com

Comment by Works4Mom.com (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• LOL hun....I know. I've gone without cable a few times when money was tight. Matt and I had basic with the sattelite dish and it was $45 a month and didn't include the kids channels, when I upgraded it was about $67.

Right now the cable/internet bill WOULD be about $120, but it's one of the few perks with Matt still working for Time Warner, we get cable (and all movie channels...yet there is never anything on) and internet for free.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010