i need help explaining to my daughter about her period it is not here yet i dunno when she is 12 has breast dev. and hair down below but i need some good advice to explain the period process and the sexual process she is asking already please help?????

nervous792

Asked by nervous792 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• get a book

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Just be honest. If she is old enough to ask, she is old enough for the info.

Besides, if she is in public school, she already knows.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You have a 12yo female who does NOT know how her reproductive system works? Oh, my.

You might like to search online --the resources are thick and rich...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Just be honest. Start out by asking what she knows and what she wants to know about, and go from there. Explain what happens and keep it simple and not scary or overwhelming. My 12 yr old was taught in public school in 5th grade. I had to sign a permission slip and we got to sit through a preview of the class before the teacher did it. After the class, I told her to ask any questions she wanted. My oldest, when she was 11, I just told her what she needed to know about when it might happen and what to expect as far as her period. Later, when she wanted to know more detail about stuff we talked about it. It's weird at first, but you get used to it. Better she get info from you than from her peers.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• There are so many books out there. I would go to a book store and check them out. That way you can explain while showing her what she needs to know. Did she not have a movie showed to her in the 5th grade at school? I know my school seperates the boys and girls and they show them a movie on the reproductive system.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You really wanna get on that. I was never told anything about mine and i got it when i was 12, i was horrified. I went to my older sister about it because my mom was at work and my father wasnt around at that time. My sister just laughed at me and told me to go clean up and put a pad on. I felt so dirty and i was horrified. I was never told anything about it. Same with sex, never had the sex talk till it was too late.
    nikkik526

Answer by nikkik526 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my dd already knew at 12. She actually started at 12. If your dd's body is that far advanced she will be starting shortly. Get a book and sit down with her, a good mother daughter talk is in order. Its just part of the scheme of things and no big deal, unless you freak out when explaining it. Just take your time and relax, you will be surprised how well she will handle it.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 4:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Books: http://www.amazon.com/Puberty-Survival-Guide-Girls-Ashby/dp/0595342205

http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Happening-Me-Guide-Puberty/dp/0818403128 - with this book, scroll down a bit on the page, and you can three books in one package. Everything about sex, puberty, period, etc. I would go for the three books in one package. It is a really good deal for good books.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010