naming kids and family's reaction?

how much did/does your family affect naming your kids? we didnt plan to tell anyone what our ideas for a boy name were for this baby but i couldnt help myself while visiting family for Christmas. George wasnt as well received as others. but right now it is our favorite. i know it shouldnt matter, but now it is going to in the back of my head. i didnt get horrible reactions, just kinda "eh" reactions. anyways, how did your family's opinion of your kids names affect [effect?] you?

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 4:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nope not all my family was crazy about our names but thats what we picked.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Well, I learned that w/baby #2 we weren't going to tell anyone. Then when people got mad because we said we weren't telling, we resorted to telling them their name. They can't say anything negative about their own name, right? It was funny because we were having a girl...and that was known so when we'd throw out guys' names...we definitely got some looks!

I just learned not to tell people because they are always going to have some opinion. If you like George, go for it. He will be here soon enough and he will be adorable and everyone will love him...and his name!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I really liked the idea of using the name Hensley, which is a family last name. My mom and grandmother completely balked, saying it will be pronounced wrong (I had no idea up to that point I'm related to the the Hen-sleys, not the Hens-lees). Whatever... We decided to look for shorter names and came up with Tess, with Hensley as her middle name.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Some family members loved the names we picked out while others didnt' care for them so much. I could tell my mom didn't care for the names and I did rethink them for along time but I knew those were the names I wanted and so I stuck with them. Now my mom likes there names.
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We named our daughter Georgia and everyone asked.. " whyy did you decide on that name?" or " I don't really care for it" My thoughts are if you guys love it I say stick with it. Its so hard to let your family who you love tell you they hate the name you have picked out. Really its what you both like.. you created him therefore its your own decison, We said the hell with anyone we love Georgia!! so Georgia it was... and EVERYONE loves it and its grown on them because honestly they had no choice. We call her Georgie sometimes.. she is definitely a Georgia!! xo Congrats!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 4:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• no one in my fam liked DS name bc my 3 yr old cusion is brayden and my DS is braylin and the middel name tyler is his fathers middle name.
    braylinsmommie

Answer by braylinsmommie at 4:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Our family has always put in their opinions. Each close family member has a child named after them so, they are happy. My kids love their names so, we really haven't had any issues.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• you need to name your child what you like and forget what others say or think because soon he will be here and no one will care what you named him because he will be so darn cute they will forget about their feelings on his name.
    My inlaws didnt like the names we choose for our boys and i dont really like wyatt for our third boy whos due in april but we do and so thats all that matters. Everyone will always have a opion on a name.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• when i was preg with my son i loved the name damion. i wanted badly to name his that. but my ex mil had a fit said that hed be a demon child and all this other crap. i thought she was full of it!!! but my ex decided against damion and we ended up going with cayden.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would like them all to like it, but if they don't then that's on them. We name our children what we think is best and they either agree or don't.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010