How do you instill a schedule when you've never done it before?

Mainly how would you disciple twin two year old twins. I've never done schedules and would like to start instilling one. Just don't know how to get children to obey. I know the stay consistent. I'm talking beyond that.

twinstartermom

Asked by twinstartermom at 4:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never really did a "strict" schedule either... but everyday basically goes the same. I didn't want to get her on a super tight schedule because things in this family are unpredictable and I didn't want to get her used to a schedule and then have her melt down I've been thinking of doing the same with my girl (also 2) just to get a little more structure in her life. Sometimes I think she gets bored, now. I'd just make a plan of what you want to do every day at what general time, and do it, and see how they react. If they aren't receptive at first, maybe back off a little and introduce certain things one at a time.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• (I applaud you for having 2 yr old twins btw!!!) :)
    MamaLisa1976

• I give my kids two options for most situations. It's tough to stick with schedules, but you find the one that fits your family best. But once you find one, you do everything in your power to stick with it.
    wolverinemama

Answer by wolverinemama at 4:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Be consistant, follow through, don't give in, and just stick to the same exact schedule you start with. That's the only way. There isn't any magical tips or tricks .. It's just a matter of saying "This is the schedule and this is what you two will follow. Period."
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If they don't consistently wake at the same time each day, choose a wake up time that seems appropriate and get them both up at that time. Starting the day at the same time gets you off to a good start. Then if breakfast is supposed to last 20 minutes, let them know when it's almost over and clear the dishes (or have them carry them) when the time is up. After a few days they will realize they need to eat when the food is there and they will adjust to that part of the schedule. You can do basically the same thing with other scheduled activities. When time is up, the activity is over. It also helps if you talk to them about what you are doing and what you will do next, etc. throughout the day. After a week or two you can ask them what you need to do next and they will likely be able to tell you or show you.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my daughter is 27 months and thrives on a schedule...some kids do really well and even better. I would just start doing thing like meals at the same time every day...make sure you're home at the same time for nap time. Bath time, dinner time, play time, etc...you don't have to worry too much about 2 year olds...they will adjust quickly. good luck. And it would probably help you out also, if they had a schedule. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You already asked this question. My answer is the same for the schedule. How do you keep it? Stick with the timing. If you do it every day they will get used to it soon. After a time they will say what is the next programme point of the day. This is the age when they start to find out that when is nappy changing time, when is lunch time, what do we do after snacks (cleaning up, etc.) Make everything fun. So they will enjoy it. For example. Make a ten minutes singing songs and reading a story session before every meal. So they have to sit down and calm down bit before they get their food. Do not start the fun part until they sit down nicely. If they misbehave, don't be angry. Just put them back to their chair and tell them to eat. Do not give them more attention when they misbehave. Stay calm, don't give attention. Just put them back to their place (around the table, in the bed). They will get used to it soon.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010