How many of you have significant others who work constantly?

My husband is about to go to work as a trucker for at least a year. He'll be gone most of the time but home every so often. We know it's going to be tough, but with how tough life is for us right now, it's an amazing blessing for us. Anyone else in the same boat?

wolverinemama

Asked by wolverinemama at 4:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Mines not a trucker but mine works 6 days a week, and around 60-70 hours a week. Its hard to adjust to but now when he is home (like the rest of this week) I secretly am like omg go back to work lol. He gets so bored at home and me and the kids have a schedule of our own now without him. We still have family time, after school sports and all that and he goes to that when he is home. You will be fine though. I would say that first month is the hardest. My best friends husband was a trucker and she said the first month was hard, and going to bed alone was hard at first, and knowing daddy wasnt going to be home to say "Wait til daddy gets here" was hard too.

Answer by gemgem at 5:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my dh's dad was a trucker he was home 2 weekends a month so it was up to his mom to raise him and his brother but she didnt mind the money was good. and in the summer time when school vacation hit my husband went across county w/ his dad and he still talks about it he loved it. my dh does want to do that but hasent yet he has oppertunitys to do so he has the licence for it and knows how to do it all. but even though he dosent drive a truck weeks on end he works i sewar 24/7. we never see him well i do when im getting in bed and hes gone before i wake up.but the money is good. we just bought a house and between us we have 4 kids. if u get lonely im here.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• lol gemgem perfect!!
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my dad was a trucker but after so long of being in the business he moved up to management and got to stay home more often! remember if you ever feel lonely you can come to cafemom!
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 5:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My husband is an attorney. When we met he was a first year attorney and the hours were long and I loved that we had time apart. When I became a sahm I realized how hard it was to be married to a man who worked so much. But I have NEVER bitched to him about it. This is the job he had when we met, when we married, and when we had kids... he did nothing wrong. I have made extra efforts to work our schedule around him and he over the years has clued into what he was missing and has started to adjust his schedule accordingly.

What Im saying is a woman has NO right to bitch to her man about his hours if that is how it has always been.  IF he is choosing a new career and you AGREE to it... then again you have no right to bitch.

It can be hard... so make the best of it.

Anonymous

• My husband works alot, he is gone for 36-48 hours at a time and then sometimes is only home for 8 hours before he has to head back to work. It is tough to have him gone so much and I miss his terribly when his is gone but I am so thankful to have such a hardworking husband. I just make sure I get all of the housework done while he is working so when he is home we can enjoy eachother and he is able to come home to a clean house. You could make a freeze cookies and different kinds of breads for him to take with him on the road. Also you could make up meals (lasagna, enchiladas, etc.) that you can just throw in the oven on nights when he is home so you can spend the night with him and not in the kitchen cooking. It is tough being away from him but it makes the time you do get to spend with him more appreciated.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• He works when he's at work and he chills when he's at home. He values the time he has with his family.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2010